A disturbing statistic

Old October 31st 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Gary Drescher

Default A disturbing statistic

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gary Drescher wrote:
What that suggests is that flying
simple planes, maintaining proficiency, and having conservative standards
regarding weather adds up to a fatality rate that is only slightly
greater
than that of driving.

If that were truly the way to go, then self-flown business travel would
be far more dangerous than personal flying - the planes are generally
faster and more complex, and the pilots generally are under pressure to
be there on time and will push weather more. But the reality is very
different.

So I would suggest that while maintaining proficiency may well be
important (those who fly for business tend to fly much more than those
who only fly for personal reasons) simple planes and conservative
standards buy you little if anything.

If self-flown business travel is also relatively safe, then there seem to be
at least two distinct modes of flying that are safer than the GA
average--instructional flying (with novice pilots but with simple planes and
conservative standards) and business travel (with more advanced aircraft and
more-experienced pilots).

--Gary

Old October 31st 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Michael[_1_]

Gary Drescher wrote:
If self-flown business travel is also relatively safe, then there seem to be
at least two distinct modes of flying that are safer than the GA
average--instructional flying (with novice pilots but with simple planes and
conservative standards) and business travel (with more advanced aircraft and
more-experienced pilots).

I think that's sort of a backwards way of looking at it. It's not that
there are safer-than-average GA modes - it's that there is a
particularly dangerous mode that drags everything else down, and that
mode is personal flying. I think what we need to do is look at what
differentiates personal flying from all other forms of GA and figure
out what makes it more dangerous, rather than looking at every other
form (they're all safer) and figure out why.

I think (and of course now that we have departed from statistics into
causation this is purely opinion) the problem is twofold - most
personal flying is done by people who don't fly enough and don't have a
real reason to do it (they have no destination other than up and no
mission). In other words, poor proficiency coupled with the wrong
mindset.

Remember, most accidents are pilot error. Not being focused on what
you are doing is a great way to make mistakes - as is doing something
only rarely. Most insurance companies will give owners a discount for
flying over 100 hours a year, even though this dramatically increases
the exposure. They believe the additional proficiency more than
offsets the increased exposure, and they are in the business of being
right.

If we really wanted to improve the accident picture, we would simply
require one to fly 100 hours a year to keep the license valid, or take
another checkride. I don't favor this because it would kill personal
GA - there wouldn't be enough of us to support the infrastructure.

Michael

Old October 31st 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

A light plane is somewhere in the neighborhood of motorcycle riding, as
far as danger goes. You can double your odds of survival if you avoid
VFR into IMC and low-altitude maneuvering.

Dane Spearing wrote:
I've had many non-pilot friends and co-workers ask, "Is flying a small plane
more or less dangerous than driving a car?"

Old October 31st 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

I think what we need to do is look at what
differentiates personal flying from all other forms of GA and figure
out what makes it more dangerous, rather than looking at every other
form (they're all safer) and figure out why.

I think the answer is fairly evident: Personal flying is not done often
enough by those who do it. This impacts proficiency. Personal flying
often involves decisions which are made independent of the weather,
making the weather a complicating factor rather than a deciding factor.
And since flying is expensive, it is harder to remain proficient.
Also, people who fly for personal transportation often fly on longer
trips, which are not taken all that often. Contrast this to driving,
where trips can be as short as a mile or two, and happen all the time.

So, anything that rasies the cost of flying, or makes it more difficult
to accomplish a mission by flying, or increases the impact of weather on
flying, or discourages flying, will have a component that adversely
affects safety.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old October 31st 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Michael[_1_]

Jose wrote:
I think the answer is fairly evident: Personal flying is not done often
enough by those who do it. This impacts proficiency.

I buy that.

Personal flying
often involves decisions which are made independent of the weather,
making the weather a complicating factor rather than a deciding factor.

But that's even more true of self-flown business flying. There are
lots of pilots who only fly for personal reasons that will only fly
when the weather is nice - making weather a deciding factor. Those who
fly on business rarely do this.

And since flying is expensive, it is harder to remain proficient.

True.

Also, people who fly for personal transportation often fly on longer
trips, which are not taken all that often.

But wouldn't that be just as true for self-flown business travel?

So, anything that rasies the cost of flying, or makes it more difficult
to accomplish a mission by flying, or increases the impact of weather on
flying, or discourages flying, will have a component that adversely
affects safety.

I agree. Thus all safety rules are bad - they do all the above.

Michael

Old October 31st 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bill[_4_]

There are so many different ways to be got that I don't think one
can make this assertion. Avoiding scud running is a start. So
is running out of fuel. Nobody plans to do these things.

Incidentally, among more experienced pilots, most accidents
are the result of judgement problems and not basic stick skills.

Bill Hale

Ron Lee wrote:
worried. Plus I do not plan on making a mistake that is at the root
of most flying fatalities...major pilot error.

Ron Lee

Old October 31st 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

Personal flying
often involves decisions which are made independent of the weather,
making the weather a complicating factor rather than a deciding factor.

But that's even more true of self-flown business flying. There are
lots of pilots who only fly for personal reasons that will only fly
when the weather is nice - making weather a deciding factor. Those who
fly on business rarely do this.

I was including this kind of business flying as "personal flying". Do
the statistics separate it out?

Also, people who fly for personal transportation often fly on longer
trips, which are not taken all that often.

But wouldn't that be just as true for self-flown business travel?

Ditto above.

So, anything that rasies the cost of flying, or makes it more difficult
to accomplish a mission by flying, or increases the impact of weather on
flying, or discourages flying, will have a component that adversely
affects safety.

I agree. Thus all safety rules are bad - they do all the above.

Not quite. All (such)safety rules =contain= a bad component. Some of
them contain sufficient good component as to outweigh that. However (my
point), some safety rules, though they do contain =some= good component,
contain more bad component and are a net bad.

Jose
Old October 31st 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Michael[_1_]

Jose wrote:
Personal flying
often involves decisions which are made independent of the weather,
making the weather a complicating factor rather than a deciding factor.

But that's even more true of self-flown business flying. There are
lots of pilots who only fly for personal reasons that will only fly
when the weather is nice - making weather a deciding factor. Those who
fly on business rarely do this.

I was including this kind of business flying as "personal flying". Do
the statistics separate it out?

Yes - and it is MUCH safer.

So, anything that rasies the cost of flying, or makes it more difficult
to accomplish a mission by flying, or increases the impact of weather on
flying, or discourages flying, will have a component that adversely
affects safety.

I agree. Thus all safety rules are bad - they do all the above.

Not quite. All (such)safety rules =contain= a bad component. Some of
them contain sufficient good component as to outweigh that.

I'm not convinced that this is ever true. There are two things that
you have to assume about a safety rule to believe the good component
outweighs the bad:

(1) A significant number of people will comply with the rule only
because it is a rule, and not because it is a good idea. Make it
merely advisory, and significant numbers of people will not comply.

(2) The benefit from the above is sufficiently great that the negative
impact on cost, utility, etc. of flying, and the consequent reduction
in proficiency, is offset.

This can really only happen if the people writing the rules are a lot
smarter and/or more knowledgeable about aviation than the people being
forced to comply. I've met a lot of airplane owners, and I've met a
lot of FAA employees. I'm pretty confident that the opposite is true.

However (my
point), some safety rules, though they do contain =some= good component,
contain more bad component and are a net bad.

I can think of plenty of those. I would be interested in a rule you
would consider a net good. Please limit to private aviation only (no
commercial ops) since that's clearly where the worst safety problems
exist.

Michael

Old October 31st 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dane Spearing

According to the DOT, the motorcycle accident fatality rate for 2002 was
34.0 fatalities per 100 million miles traveled. That's over 20 times
the rate for automobiles (1.47 fatalities per 100 million miles)!
(see http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...FatsUpdate.pdf)

If we compare it with the aviation accident rate of 1.2 fatalities per
100,000 hours flown, and assume an average GA velocity of 150 mph, this
comes to a fatality rate for GA of about 8 fatalities per 100 million miles
flown.

Thus, motorcycle riding is roughly 4 times more dangerous than flying GA.

I feel better now.

-- Dane

Old November 1st 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Noel

In article ,
Jose wrote:

I think what we need to do is look at what
differentiates personal flying from all other forms of GA and figure
out what makes it more dangerous, rather than looking at every other
form (they're all safer) and figure out why.

I think the answer is fairly evident: Personal flying is not done often
enough by those who do it.

another viewpoint is: Pilots are not managing the risks.

It doesn't matter how often you fly. The pilot that flies within
his abilities is going to have less risk than the pilot that
flies beyond his abilities.

bottomline: it's not about total hours, it's about risk management.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the