Anyone Know What This Pipe Type Instrument Is?

Old January 10th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.music.classical,rec.aviation.products,alt.astronomy,ne.weather
John W. Kennedy

Default Anyone Know What This Pipe Type Instrument Is?

Michael Haslam wrote:
John W. Kennedy wrote:

clarinet.fan wrote:
Clearly not - too high. I wonder if anyone has made an octocontrabass
recorder & what it would sound like.

Dolmetsch is currently prototyping a "double contrabass recorder".

I remember a photo of a man playing a recorder probably of about 8ft
from the 1970s; would that be a contrabass in C? Is the Dolmetsch double
contrabass a 12ft F or a 16ft C one?

As far as I can tell, Dolmetsch's low line is as follows:

Tenor 2' C
Bass 3' F
Great Bass 4' C
Contrabass 6' F
Contra Great Bass 8' C (in prototype)
Double Contrabass 12' F (starting prototyping)

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres
Old January 17th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.music.classical,comp.os.os2.advocacy,rec.aviation.products,demon.local,alt.astronomy
Michael Baldwin, Bruce

Fartingale AKA Lora wrote:
"Michael Baldwin, Bruce" wrote in message
ups.com...
clarinet.fan wrote:
"Michael Baldwin, Bruce" wrote in message
ups.com...
Fartingale AKA Lora Crighton wrote:
Victor Eijkhout wrote:
Michael Haslam wrote:

Wouldn't a penny whistle player sound like a penny whistle

player
even
if he were playing a recorder [assuming he could handle the
different
fingering]?

There were a couple of notes at the top of the first octave

that
had
the
characteristic penny whistle sound. Maybe it's a difference in
bore,
but
the instruments really sound different.

There is more difference between the bores of individual penny
whistles
than
between the average penny whistle and a recorder.

Don't be a bore, Fartingale. It was definitely a octocontrabass
recorder.

Clearly not - too high. I wonder if anyone has made an

octocontrabass
recorder & what it would sound like.

Ask Dickless, fan. He's the alleged expert.

Not on recorders.

Nor anything else, fan.

He's more of an expert than you are or ever will be. You're just jealous of
him.

OWBDYMTK, F?

Jay Honeck must get an instrument rating Margy Natalie Piloting 168 October 3rd 06 02:13 AM
Stupid Question Crash Lander Piloting 35 July 23rd 06 02:39 AM
Tips on Getting Your Instrument Rating Sooner and at Lower Cost Fred Piloting 16 October 19th 04 07:31 AM