You have to love DUATS!

Old January 9th 04, 04:57 PM
Louis Perley

Default You have to love DUATS!

I was checking local weather and saw this PIREP from Duats:

Denver CO [DEN]: pilot report
at Denver [DEN VOR] at 8:07am MST (1507Z), at flight level 430 a Piper
J-5 Cub Cruiser(L-14, Ae) reported temperature -5B0C, wind 294/062

I'd like to see the STC that gives this cub the ability to get up to
FL430! Isn't that too high to be wearing oxygen? So wouldn't it also need
to be pressurized? I wanna see this Cub! I have seen J-3, but what's a
J-5?

-Louis
Old January 9th 04, 05:18 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Louis Perley" wrote in message
et...

I was checking local weather and saw this PIREP from Duats:

Denver CO [DEN]: pilot report
at Denver [DEN VOR] at 8:07am MST (1507Z), at flight level 430 a Piper
J-5 Cub Cruiser(L-14, Ae) reported temperature -5B0C, wind 294/062

I'd like to see the STC that gives this cub the ability to get up to
FL430! Isn't that too high to be wearing oxygen? So wouldn't it also need
to be pressurized?

No, a pressure breathing oxygen system could be used.

I wanna see this Cub! I have seen J-3, but what's a
J-5?

The Piper J-5 Cub Cruiser was essentially a J-3 with a widened fuselage at
the rear seat station that allowed two passengers to sit side-by-side on a
bench seat. In between these aircraft was the J-4 Cub Coupe, which had
side-by-side seating for two people.

Old January 9th 04, 08:10 PM
EDR

In article , Louis
Perley wrote:

I was checking local weather and saw this PIREP from Duats:

Denver CO [DEN]: pilot report
at Denver [DEN VOR] at 8:07am MST (1507Z), at flight level 430 a Piper
J-5 Cub Cruiser(L-14, Ae) reported temperature -5B0C, wind 294/062

I'd like to see the STC that gives this cub the ability to get up to
FL430! Isn't that too high to be wearing oxygen? So wouldn't it also need
to be pressurized? I wanna see this Cub! I have seen J-3, but what's a
J-5?

Just remember, they put a jet engine on a WACO biplane.
Think what they can do with a Cub.
Old January 9th 04, 10:04 PM
John Galban

Louis Perley wrote in message . net...
I have seen J-3, but what's a
J-5?

A J-5 is a J-3 with a wider fuselage. The wider back seat was
supposed to fit 2 passengers, but they'd have to be slim. I've also
seen a medical transport version. On this one, the rear deck from the
trailing edge of the wing to the vertical stab hinged up to allow a
stretcher to be placed in the back. I'll bet that made for an
interesting W&B calculation.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old January 10th 04, 02:58 AM
Mike O'Malley

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...
Louis Perley wrote in message

. net...
I have seen J-3, but what's a
J-5?

A J-5 is a J-3 with a wider fuselage. The wider back seat was
supposed to fit 2 passengers, but they'd have to be slim. I've also
seen a medical transport version. On this one, the rear deck from the
trailing edge of the wing to the vertical stab hinged up to allow a
stretcher to be placed in the back. I'll bet that made for an
interesting W&B calculation.

I've never flown a J-5, but the PA-12 was a cleaned up J-5, and the Super
Cruisers that I've flown are decidedly nose heavy. Of course, that's with the
STC'ed O-320.

--
Mike

Old January 10th 04, 07:28 AM
Brien K. Meehan

Louis Perley wrote in message . net...
at Denver [DEN VOR] at 8:07am MST (1507Z), at flight level 430 a Piper
J-5 Cub Cruiser(L-14, Ae) reported temperature -5B0C, wind 294/062

:-)

On my IFR checkride, 12 miles north of PTK, I listened to ATIS "Papa"
which was reporting overcast at 1500.

I told the DE, "What was that? I think he said 1500, but that
doesn't, umm, match my expectations. We're supposed to have pretty
high clouds. Let's listen to that again."

The DE said, "I can see the field from here, and I sure don't see a
layer at 1500."

The ATIS came around again - yep, he said 1500 - but stopped halfway
through. In a few seconds, ATIS "Quebec" came on, reporting overcast
at 15000.