IFR GPS replace DME / ADF?

Old May 7th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR GPS replace DME / ADF?

Hello,

I'm new to IFR and just learning... if our plane doesn't have an ADF or
a DME... can we legally use, say a garmin 430, to do a NDB approach?
Also, can these garmin 430/480/530 units get you the DME?

Also, are RNAVs still used often?

Thanks,

-dr

Old May 7th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

An IFR certifed GPS can replace a NDB or DME waypoint or fix, but you can
not use it to do an NDB or DME arc approach. That being said, there will
probably be aGPS approach similar to the NDB approach at whatever airport
you go to.
The GARMIN 430/530/480 can get you a distance to a waypoint that will be
very close to a DME distance (remember DME measures slant height, GPS
measures lateral distance)

A NON IFR GPS can NOT legaly replace a NDB or DME fix.

RNAV's are still used. There are a lot of installed KNS-80's out there

Hope that helps.
Ian

oups.com...

Old May 7th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Thanks Ian!

Old May 7th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Some NDB approachs now say NDB/GPS. If it does not say GPS you cannot
use the GPS past the FAF. Its a bit silly that you must turn away from
your highly correct source (GPS) and turn to your ADF.

Old May 8th 06, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

But I sure would, while using my ADF as primary, use my GPS for situational
awareness. Meaning that I would tune and verify my ADF and watch the needle
stay where it should while following the track on the GPS.

--
-------------------------------
Travis
oups.com...

Old May 8th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Newps wrote:

Why not? If you'll go direct with a handheld then why not shoot an NDB
approach with an IFR certified panel mount GPS such as a 430?

For one reason, the approach won't be in the GPS database.

We should replace planes with tie-fighters !!! Dan Simper Naval Aviation 5 February 6th 05 07:20 PM
Help! rebuild or replace Stamo engine In Falke? Ian Walton Soaring 2 September 5th 04 07:02 AM
Replace (Fix) ADF? Tom Nery Owning 32 November 3rd 03 04:30 PM
Air Force to replace enlisted historians with civilians Otis Willie Military Aviation 1 October 22nd 03 09:41 AM
best source to replace missing cowl fastener Craig Owning 5 August 25th 03 08:07 PM