For USA: Data Plate Exemption?

Old January 29th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard

Default For USA: Data Plate Exemption?

Jim Phoenix wrote:

Or just search for 'soaring' and see a list of everyone's
soaring-
related exemptions.

Jim

Or, you could take yet another approach. Advisory
Circulars are NOT regulation. They show a means of
compliance. Ray, you are the one that asked the question
first. Is your glider Experimental Exhibition and
Racing? If so, you don't need the data plate OR the
exemption letter. Don't believe me? Read on and check
out 14CFR for yourself.

So says the FAA in 14CFR45.11 (a):

“Aircraft covered under 21.182 of this chapter must
be identified… “ and goes on to specify where and how
the data is to be presented.

So, you go to 21.182, and see the following:

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section,
each applicant for an airworthiness certificate under
this subpart must show that his aircraft is identified
as prescribed in Sec. 45.11.
(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to
applicants for the following:
(1) A special flight permit.
(2) An experimental certificate for an aircraft not
issued for the purpose of operating amateur-built aircraft,
operating primary kit-built aircraft, or operating
light-sport aircraft.
(3) A change from one airworthiness classification
to another, for an aircraft already identified as prescribed
in Sec. 45.11.

Don't you just love their double negative?

So, this says that Experimental Exhibition and Racing,
Show Compliance with the FARs, Market Survey, Restricted,
and probably several others do NOT have to have the
external data plate.

Once again, Advisory Circulars are NOT The Law. But,
just to be on the safe side, I keep copies of these
sections of 14CFR and the exemption letter in my experimental
exhibition and racing category gliders.

Steve Leonard
Wichita, KS

Old January 29th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

On Jan 28, 9:06 pm, Steve Leonard
wrote:
Jim Phoenix wrote:

Ray, you are the one that asked the question
first. Is your glider Experimental Exhibition and
Racing? If so, you don't need the data plate OR the
exemption letter. Don't believe me? Read on and check
out 14CFR for yourself.

Steve, yes, my glider is Experimental Exhibition and Racing.

Don't you just love their double negative?

I think I might have a better chance of understanding thermal
structure or creating a soaring forecast than ever understanding the
CFR's.

So, this says that Experimental Exhibition and Racing,
But, just to be on the safe side, I keep copies of these
sections of 14CFR and the exemption letter in my experimental
exhibition and racing category gliders.

Steve Leonard
Wichita, KS

And I'm putting a copy of the letters, again, in my cockpit. (That
would be singular cockpit in a singular glider.) Mouse or no mouse.

Thanks again to all,

Ray Lovinggood

Old January 29th 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

And I'm putting a copy of the letters, again, in my cockpit. (That
would be singular cockpit in a singular glider.) Mouse or no mouse.

Thanks again to all,

Ray Lovinggood

Are those mice paying you? Then you're in a commercial situation and
you can't do that with an experimental craft...
Old January 29th 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Are those mice paying you? *Then you're in a commercial situation and
you can't do that with an experimental craft...

Gary,
I never considered it, but I you're right. They did leave "gifts"
behind... Value of "gifts" still to be determined. Hey, so I'm
finally getting paid for my services with my Commercial rating on the
glider license! I'll assume the mice can't read the "EXPERIMENTAL"
bit of decoration thus I'll keep on going...

Ray