Trailer tow advice

Old January 31st 20, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Trailer tow advice

Any opinions on Ford Escape SUV 2liter as a tow vehicle? I live on the east coast but may want to tow to sailplane destinations out west. Near certain my trailer and glider is under a ton.
Old January 31st 20, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have a 2017 Ford Escape SE. Mine has all wheel drive, and the 2.0 turbo Ecoboost 4 cylinder 245 hp engine.

I typically tow about 1750 pounds, an SZD 55-1 in an Avionic trailer. I have never towed a two place ship. I have towed to Nephi, Ephrate, Airsailing, Truckee, Williams, and Midlothian.

My tow speed has been as high as 98 mph, and I have been known to pass logging trucks on twisting two lane roads climbing up the Cascades. I have yet to climb a hill that I could not maintain or exceed the posted speed limit.. That is with the trailer, all my glider stuff, camping equipment and one occupant in the vehicle.

The only down side is that it does not have a full size spare.

So yes, I recommend this model of Escape as a tow vehicle.

P9
Old January 31st 20, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Note that with the sunroof, the roof rack load drops to 20 pounds.

P9
Old January 31st 20, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

PG
Did you consider any other SUV before you acquired your Ford Escape
Old January 31st 20, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes,

I wanted another Hyundai Tuscon. I loved the handling, visibility, and the 6 speed manual. Unfortunately, the newer model Tuscon changed so much that it did not suit my needs.

I prefer smaller cars, so I ruled out larger SUVs. I also ruled out SUVs that do not have a local dealer, such as BMW. There were several other smaller SUVs that would work, but to get the larger engine that I wanted required a package deal, which jacked up the cost. With the Escape, I was able to get the more powerful engine in the lower end SE body. (Same engine as in the higher end Titanium version.) I just do not need the fru-fru stuff. I do not see the point in spending a pile of money on a car that I drive down desert trails, dry lakes, and logging roads with trailer in tow. Naw, I never land out, I just fetch other people

P9

Old January 31st 20, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

On Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 6:33:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Any opinions on Ford Escape SUV 2liter as a tow vehicle? I live on the east coast but may want to tow to sailplane destinations out west. Near certain my trailer and glider is under a ton.

I had a 2002 ford Escape 3 liter v6. It had a max tow weight of 3500 pounds with a class 2 trailer hitch receptacle. It towed the Komet trailer with the LS-4 just fine, no issues. Later, I bought a Duo Discus, and trailered that a few times. I towed that 2800 or 2900 pound trailer up the mountain on the way to New Castle, VA. I'm just glad nobody was behind me that time.

On the way to Petersburg, WV, I would gather a fan club behind me. They would all be cheering me on, telling me that I'm number 1. (Well, at least that's how many fingers were extended when they were cheering me on.) (No comment about which finger).

On the highway, the trailer had the habit of making my travel exciting -- the wrong kind of excitement. I could get it up to highway speed, but anything near 75 got more exciting than I liked. So I gathered a fan club behind me, wondering why I couldn't get any higher than 67 on the highway.

I traded in the Escape for a Nissan Frontier, and have been happy with the results.

But for towing a single seat glider, the 6 cylinder version of the Escape was quite adequate. Can't comment on the 4 cylinder version.
Old January 31st 20, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I feel your pain.

I test drove the older six cylinder model of Escape, which is what caused me to buy a Hyundai. The new model of Escape is so much better. The six cylinder engine is not available in the new model. Surprisingly, the smaller displacement four cylinder turbo engine is more responsive. I was doubtful that it would tow well, but someone I know had one with a hitch, so I borrowed it to see how it towed. That sold me. I also run it on regular gas. A contender was the Jeep Cherokee.
Old January 31st 20, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marton KSz

I've seen people towing single-seater gliders through the Cascades (Ephrata to Seattle) with compact sedans (e.g. Mazda3). The secret is the manual transmission; hydraulic coupling in small automatic cars can cook quickly if operated under heavy load for an extended period of time (e.g. 30 minutes uphill). Engine displacement is less of a concern.
Old February 1st 20, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

I have towed a DG200 with Minden Fab tube style trailer from California to Utah. Over the Sierra Nevada's in my 2005 Toyota Rav 4 V6

Towed fantastic. Plenty of power going over the mountains and very stable. Really no issues. Cruising around 70 to 75 mph.

I really like the Rav 4. Might be worth considering...
Old February 1st 20, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 10:22:36 AM UTC-5, Piet Barber wrote:
[...]

I had a 2001 Ford Escape V6 with the towing option. I really liked that for towing single seat trailers. I towed a Cobra trailer with glider up through West Virginia to Ohio with no issues at all.

I had a friend with a similar vintage 4 cylinder Escape with manual transmission. That seemed to tow well too. The only (small) snag was using tow-out gear pulling his glider to the end of the runway. He needed to ride the clutch to go slow enough.

I have a newer Escape with the 4 cylinder Ecoboost. I haven't gotten the hitch installed yet so I can't comment on how well it tows.

I have looked at Rav4's for towing. Another friend has/had the V6 version (2006 model) which seems to have towed well. The one time he landed out he forgot to leave the keys behind so noone else got an opinion on it! The 4 cylinder and hybrid models mostly seem to be limited to 1000lb towing so I haven't looked beyond that.