Warrior 1234 do you have the traffic in sight?

Old July 12th 04, 05:41 PM
Magnus

Default Warrior 1234 do you have the traffic in sight?

Er....no.

Just read an article about a blinc guy in england who's going to fly
around in a modified warrior. Apparently the system uses audio to
translate what the instruments show.

Good thing he has a safetypilot however, since he can't see traffic for
example. Maybe it's the wave of the future, soon you won't need eyesight
to get a PPL.
Old July 12th 04, 06:11 PM
CB

"Magnus" wrote in message
Er....no.

Just read an article about a blinc guy in england who's going to fly
around in a modified warrior. Apparently the system uses audio to
translate what the instruments show.

Good thing he has a safetypilot however, since he can't see traffic for
example. Maybe it's the wave of the future, soon you won't need eyesight
to get a PPL.

So what's your problem?

Old July 12th 04, 08:16 PM
Magnus

CB wrote:
"Magnus" wrote in message

Er....no.

Just read an article about a blinc guy in england who's going to fly
around in a modified warrior. Apparently the system uses audio to
translate what the instruments show.

Good thing he has a safetypilot however, since he can't see traffic for
example. Maybe it's the wave of the future, soon you won't need eyesight
to get a PPL.

So what's your problem?

Actually I think it's interesting, I know there's also sharp-shooting
competitions for blind people where an audio tone is used to aim. I
think the tone gets stronger and changes pitch the closer you get to the
target.

You could probably do the same in a plane for traffic avoidance, have
some sort of audio warning system tcas variant. The final flare and
touchdown would be tricky to get done properly using audio though,
without some special equipment at the airport as well. Still, it's
pretty cool what he's doing.

My problem? Well, let's see... I'd like to start with, if I may, the
state of public health care. In 1992 a....... blah blah blah. Which
brings me to the situation in iraq. If there's ever to be a democratic
way of life then there should be clear to all that blah bleh blahblah.....
Old July 12th 04, 09:32 PM
m pautz

Magnus wrote:
Er....no.

Just read an article about a blinc guy in england who's going to fly
around in a modified warrior. Apparently the system uses audio to
translate what the instruments show.

Good thing he has a safetypilot however, since he can't see traffic for
example. Maybe it's the wave of the future, soon you won't need eyesight
to get a PPL.

Why not. Ray Charles said his greatest joy was when they let him drive
a car.

Actually, I would think that flying an airplane would be rather boring
to a blind guy. I would think tandem sky diving would be far more
exhilarating to the senses.

More power to him ... Unless, of course, he is flying a glider.

Marty Pautz
-- promote a society that respects its elders; before it is too late. --

Old July 12th 04, 10:53 PM
Bela P. Havasreti

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:32:57 GMT, m pautz
wrote:

Magnus wrote:
Er....no.

Just read an article about a blinc guy in england who's going to fly
around in a modified warrior. Apparently the system uses audio to
translate what the instruments show.

Good thing he has a safetypilot however, since he can't see traffic for
example. Maybe it's the wave of the future, soon you won't need eyesight
to get a PPL.

Why not. Ray Charles said his greatest joy was when they let him drive
a car.

Actually, I would think that flying an airplane would be rather boring
to a blind guy. I would think tandem sky diving would be far more
exhilarating to the senses.

More power to him ... Unless, of course, he is flying a glider.

Marty Pautz
-- promote a society that respects its elders; before it is too late. --

Story I got (from a guy who sang backup with Ray Charles back
then) was that he bought a new ('63-ish?) Corvette and insisted on
taking it for a spin ("safety" driver in the right seat of course).
If I can believe my source, he promptly wrecked it!

Bela P. Havasreti
Old July 12th 04, 11:25 PM
Bill Denton

Just some trivia...

Note: I don't remember all of the details on this and what I remember are
sketchy. I believe this info came from a Playboy interview, and some of it
may have come from a conversation I had with Mr. Charles.

Ray Charles, the blind R & B singer who died recently used to fly some
enroute portions (with a co-pilot) in a plane he owned. I don't remember
what kind of plane he had, but I believe it was a "medium" twin (421,
Aerostar, or similar). I believe they had installed a "mini" panel with the
minimal gauges with the glass removed, so Mr. Charles could "read" them.

Ray was kind of a crusty old *******, and I believe his comment on this was
something like: "If I'm going to pay that much for the thing, I'm damn sure
going to fly it!"

As I said, I'm fuzzy on the memories, so if anyone can correct me or add on,
please do...

Old July 13th 04, 02:09 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Back in the late 60's when I lived in Pittsburgh, Ray Charles' pilot invited
me to take some of the teenagers I worked with as an adult leader up for a
ride in Ray's plane. My Dad, an Air Force pilot,
(http://users.erols.com/viewptmd/Dad.html) went along. It turned out that
the flight was a post-annual checkout, which my Dad was a bit miffed about:
he thought it was irresponsible taking along 15 passengers on a maintenance
checkout, but the rest of us enjoyed it. IIRC it was a Convair 440, but that
was before I was quite so obsessed with aviation. I never did get to meet
Ray. Too bad.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America