Chicago VFR throughway

Old July 6th 04, 10:04 PM
Nathan Young

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 18:27:56 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Travis Marlatte" wrote in message
link.net...

Definitely talk to Midway. Now that Meigs is gone, Midway pretty much
controls the lakefront, when needed. They always did control the corridor.

Now that Meigs tower is closed, who do you call to transit the Meigs Class D
airspace?

Good question. I don't have my latest sectional, but I'm pretty sure
the Class D airspace is still depicted. Anyone have one handy to
double-check?

While flying down the lakeshore, I have tried to tune in the CGX ATIS
but it is silent. (I had expected some sort of message that Meigs is
now closed and that MDW or ORD approach should be contacted for
services).

-Nathan

Old July 6th 04, 10:52 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Nathan Young" wrote in message

Good question. I don't have my latest sectional, but I'm pretty sure
the Class D airspace is still depicted. Anyone have one handy to
double-check?

I've got one. Meigs Field is depicted in magenta, the airport data block
says "Meigs (closed)". The surface area is depicted by a blue segmented
circle with an upper limit of 3100 feet. There is no entry for Meigs in the
Airport/Facility Directory. The Aeronautical Chart Bulletin says nothing
about the Class D surface area, nor has any NOTAM been published. The CGX
approaches have been removed from the TPP.

Controlled airspace changes have to go through the entire rulemaking
process. An NPRM was issued last July, the 90 day comment period ended in
October, and we await a decision. You'd think the decision would have been
made by now, as there's only one way it can go.

Old July 7th 04, 04:26 AM
Matt Young

If my understanding is correct, class D airspace always reverts to class
E anytime the tower is closed, therefore, the area depicted would be
treated as class E (or B, I'm not around Chicago, so I don't know if
it's inside the class C or under it.

wrote:

hlink.net...

Old July 7th 04, 04:54 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt Young" wrote in message
ink.net...

If my understanding is correct, class D airspace always reverts to class
E anytime the tower is closed, therefore, the area depicted would be
treated as class E (or B, I'm not around Chicago, so I don't know if
it's inside the class C or under it.

Part-time controlled airspace is based on time. The entry for Meigs in the
A/FD was:

AIRSPACE: CLASS D svc 1200-0400Z other times CLASS G.

Old July 7th 04, 02:20 PM
Defly

Part-time controlled airspace is based on time. The entry for Meigs in the
A/FD was:

AIRSPACE: CLASS D svc 1200-0400Z other times CLASS G.

The June 10 A/FD has a listing for Meigs but only shows the lat/long. and the
freq for the Kankakee RCO. Meigs is not depicted on the L23 low alt chart
anymore, but there is an RCO shown at that location. Since Meigs doesn't exist
anymore the airspace is the same as the area directly surrounding it when it
was there
Old July 7th 04, 04:09 PM
Kyler Laird

Nathan Young writes:

Good question. I don't have my latest sectional, but I'm pretty sure
the Class D airspace is still depicted. Anyone have one handy to
double-check?

https://aviationtoolbox.org/Members/...selected.y=238

--kyler
Old July 7th 04, 07:38 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Chuck Gerlach" wrote in message
link.net...

Talk to Midway!

About what?

Old July 7th 04, 07:40 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Defly" wrote in message

Since Meigs doesn't exist
anymore the airspace is the same as the area directly surrounding it when

it
was there

What do you base that on? It's not that there just hasn't been time to
update the sectional, as the sectional has been updated to show Meigs closed
but still shows Class D airspace centered on the field.

Old July 8th 04, 02:55 PM
Travis Marlatte

The discussion of the sectional still showing Meigs was an offshoot. The
original question was about passing between Midway and O'Hare.

Talk to Midway about passing through the the corridor just to the north of
their airspace.

Of course, you don't have to but that was my advice as well as Chuck's.

--
Travis