New Garmin 396

Old July 7th 05, 04:05 AM
W P Dixon

As Chris Rock would say,
" GOOD LORD THAT'S ALOT OF MONEY!!!!!!!" How bout I give you $1.50 and you
just point me in the general direction!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

wrote in message
ups.com...

So... just got an email from Sportys about the new Garmin GPSMAP 396.

..

$2,500 for a handheld GPS is a lot, though.
-- dave j

Old July 7th 05, 04:11 AM
Jay Beckman

"W P Dixon" wrote in message
As Chris Rock would say,
" GOOD LORD THAT'S ALOT OF MONEY!!!!!!!" How bout I give you $1.50 and you
just point me in the general direction!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

That's kinda the drill my CFI gave me:

Him: "See where you want to go?"
Me: "Ummm, yeah."
Him: "Point the nose that way ... keep pointing the nose that way until you
get there."

:O)

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old July 7th 05, 08:05 PM
Seth Masia

When I was 14, my Air Explorer unit had a WWII-era Link Trainer; I had
about three dozen hours in it before I got my first ride in the Piper Colt.
The CFI said "Look through the windscreen!"

But I was too short . . . .

Seth

Old July 10th 05, 09:49 PM
Andrew Gideon

Jay Beckman wrote:

Him: "Point the nose that way ... keep pointing the nose that way until
you get there."

Tsk. Homing.

laugh

- Andrew

Old July 7th 05, 04:41 AM

I am going to practice a new technique that my girlfriend has taught
me:

- don't buy the thing for two weeks
- imaging how cool it would be, what utility and joy you might get
from it, how frequently/infrequently you will use it, etc.
- visit the website frequently. download pictures and documentation.
learn about it as if you owned it
- if after two weeks you still want it, then buy it.

Since learning this technique I have saved myself from buying all
manner of techno gadgets. In fact, I've bought little more than
groceries in the past six months.

-- dave j

PS -- full disclosu I already own a GPS and I'd say I get it out of
the flight bag for less than 1/4 of my fliying. When it is out, I
always do the same thing: set it down, on the back seat or give it to
pax for entertainment. After all, it's more fun to use my brain to
navigate. And yet... I do consider it an important piece of safety
equipment. It also is good at finding chinese restaurants in strange
cities for those important $100 egg rolls.

Old July 10th 05, 09:51 PM
Andrew Gideon

jsmith wrote:

If there is marriage in your future, you had better buy everything you
want NOW!

If she brings up the subject of marriage, as for her website URL. Tell her
you'll be spending two weeks...

- Andrew

Old July 7th 05, 12:57 PM
Richard Kaplan

What PDA solution can you buy with this capability for $2,500 including the
PDA?

I think Garmin has hit a home run here.

--------------------
Richard Kaplan

www.flyimc.com

Old July 7th 05, 02:58 PM
Dan Luke

"Richard Kaplan" wrote:
What PDA solution can you buy with this capability for $2,500 including the
PDA?

I think Garmin has hit a home run here.

I agree. I've been dreaming about having WxWorx displayed on my 296, and now
Garmin's done it.

Information is scanty, though. How many of the WxWorx features will be
displayed on the 396? I know it will do NEXRAD, but what about, METARs,
TAFs, lightning, etc?

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old July 7th 05, 03:02 PM
Peter R.

Dan Luke wrote:

Information is scanty, though. How many of the WxWorx features will be
displayed on the 396? I know it will do NEXRAD, but what about, METARs,
TAFs, lightning, etc?

Here is a relevant quote to Sportys product page (and a marketing email
from them I received today):

"An integrated GXM 30 smart antenna makes the satellite connection,
enabling the unit to receive and process XM Weather and flight safety
products. In addition to offering the outstanding features and operation of
the GPSMAP 296, the GPSMAP 396 allows pilots to display NEXRAD radar,
Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs), METARs, TAFs, Winds Aloft and many
other useful weather products through a subscription with XM Radio data
services. "

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....roduct_id=9590

--
Peter