George Moffat

Old July 12th 19, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default George Moffat

Does anyone still have much contact with George? I was jknow he has been out of the soaring limelight for awhile now but just wondering how he was doing. I learned alot from him back in the day and had the opportunity to pick his brain when he was out at Minden working with Dick Brant and the big Jantar.
Old July 14th 19, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

No responses, makes me feel real old.
Old July 14th 19, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 12:39:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
No responses, makes me feel real old

"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."

John Towner Williams
Old July 15th 19, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I am a second generation Pilot of both airplanes and gliders, having been introduced to both by my Dad. My Dad once told me that George Moffat was the best Glider Pilot and everybody wanted him to fly their sailplanes. During my youth, I would look through my Dad’s monthly issues of Soaring Magazine to see how George Moffat fared in the Contest Reports. I read those reports with great interest.

I don’t think that we can even begin to measure or quantify his contributions to Soaring or what he has meant to Soaring in the USA.
Old July 15th 19, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mike, yes I fully know George stepped away from the soaring scene and didnot much care for the way the racing side was evolving, I think he also carroed a good bit of heartburn over not being allowed to defend his world championship back when he was denied his place on the team in what even from the outside looked to be a political decision.

I am not at all interested in putting his contact info out for public use. In fact, if I wanted to get ahold of his phone number or address it would be easy. I just was interested if anyone had any regular contact with him, had seen him and could tell me if hes in ok health or if hes a vegitable in an old folks home. He has to be very close to 90 now.
Old July 15th 19, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Very well said John. I was looking at all the names on the old perpetual 1-26 championship trophies that I was privelaged to compete for and win this year. Some names engraved on there are very well known within the soaring community. Others I have never heard of. 50 years from now, some young fellow will see my name on them and wonder who the heck that guy was?

And when I core my last thermal and finish my final glide and the relatives are cleaning out my crap, going thru all my stuff, they will see the state and regional record certificates and not knowing all the sweat and work, challenge and dissapointment, adventure and excitment that went into earning them, throw the mess into the discard pile.
Dan
Old July 15th 19, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 14:52 15 July 2019, wrote:
Mike, yes I fully know George stepped away from the soaring

scene and
didno=
t much care for the way the racing side was evolving, I think he

also
carro=
ed a good bit of heartburn over not being allowed to defend his

world
champ=
ionship back when he was denied his place on the team in what

even from
the=
outside looked to be a political decision.=20

=
In fact, if I wanted to get ahold of his phone number or address it

would
b=
e easy. I just was interested if anyone had any regular contact with

him,
h=
ad seen him and could tell me if hes in ok health or if hes a

vegitable in
=
an old folks home. He has to be very close to 90 now.

Personally, I don't know. The last time I saw him was at the Mifflin
STD Nats in 2001. That may have been one of the last contests
which he participated in. I could ask people who I'm sure would
know, but I don't want to pry. A long time ago, I heard he was
living on Buzzard's Bay and sailing every chance he could. I learned
a lot from him, and he would always ask how my father was doing
when we talked. If he wants his privacy, I will respect that.

RO

Old July 15th 19, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes Mike agreed. I can see him at Buzzards Bay, quite a sailers mecca, and a guy can keep sailing long after he is no longer able to safely fly, allthough I will keep flying as long as I can get myself in and out of the cockpit, given that my mind still works correctly lol.
Old July 15th 19, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 9:55:11 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Yes Mike agreed. I can see him at Buzzards Bay, quite a sailers mecca, and a guy can keep sailing long after he is no longer able to safely fly, although I will keep flying as long as I can get myself in and out of the cockpit, given that my mind still works correctly lol.

Moffat and I, along with others, spoke at the Seniors 2007 and after that, he flew 2007 Mifflin 15 Meters in his Discus. I believe he sold it sometime after and retired from flying.

Not current but several years back, while at the Seniors, several of his friends and I spoke about him. If I remember correctly he was still enjoying sailing.

Best. Tom #711.