NTSB Factual Walton Crash

Old August 16th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ChuckSlusarczyk

Default NTSB Factual Walton Crash

For those who are interested the NTSB has released the 2nd report on the Walton
crash. You can read it in it's entirety at the NTSB site at :

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...FA100& akey=1

See ya

Chuck S

Old August 16th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

Read it earlier today and it clearly shows that somebody owes you a big
apology. Sounds like the builder was totally responsible for the
modifications made. Good Show Chuck.

Old August 16th 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article .com, BobR says...

Read it earlier today and it clearly shows that somebody owes you a big
apology. Sounds like the builder was totally responsible for the
modifications made. Good Show Chuck.

Thanks Bob. I don't expect one from "you know who" because an apology would
require him to have to admit he was wrong .We all know that he thinks he's never
wrong but the egg on his face says it all.

It hurts to have anyone hurt in one of my planes and it is really heartbreaking
to have a fatality especially since I probably knew the person personally.

What we can gain from this is to be very careful in preflights, don't make any
modifications unless you consult the factory and most of all don't be a test
pilot.

See ya

Chuck S

Old August 16th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:
For those who are interested the NTSB has released the 2nd report on the Walton
crash. You can read it in it's entirety at the NTSB site at :

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...FA100& akey=1

After reading the report myself I have two questions:

1) What caused the crash?

2) Given the 20 gallon fuel capacity of the plane, why does the
following
statment refer to 10 gallons, rather than 5?

"The airplane was not eligible for certification in the ultralight
category
due to a fuel capacity of greater than 10 gallons. "

--

FF

Old August 16th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dean A. Scott

What we can gain from this is to be very careful in preflights, don't make any
modifications unless you consult the factory and most of all don't be a test
pilot.

Absolutely!

The report doesn't seem to offer any speculative conclusion as to what caused
the sudden but level-winged descent. What is your understanding re. "the
aileron cable was separated and exhibited a random raveling of individual
wires typical of an overload failure."? Is this to say both cables broke
due to impact or broke in-flight? If they broke in-flight, this would obviously
mean no bank control for coordinated turns, but would unrestrained ailerons
cause a rapid descent? That is, would they drop down and act like flaps,
increasing drag?

The drill left of the engine causing prop strike when it fell off at TO, hard
landing at BUB, and loss of luggage at TO from BUB, are surprising insights
to the pilot's possible lack of attention to details that may have contributed
to his demise.

Dean A. Scott, mfa

Old August 16th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"ChuckSlusarczyk" wrote in message

For those who are interested the NTSB has released the 2nd report on the

Walton
crash. You can read it in it's entirety at the NTSB site at :

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...DEN05FA100& a
key=1

See ya

Chuck S

I've both heard and read many times that an accident is nearly always the
result of a series of errors; and it's a tribute to your design that it took
such a dramatic series to reach this unfortunate conclusion.

Peter

Old August 17th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Peter Dohm says...
I've both heard and read many times that an accident is nearly always the
result of a series of errors;

Exactly right ,I've heard it was usually a combination of 3 things that cause
accidents and if any one of them was missing it wouldn't have happened.

and it's a tribute to your design that it took
such a dramatic series to reach this unfortunate conclusion.

Peter

Thanks Peter I appreciate the comment.

See ya

Chuck S

Old August 17th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt.Doug

"ChuckSlusarczyk" wrote in message
Officially the probable cause has not been determined by the NTSB at this

time
.This report is about the facts that were discovered during the course of

the
investigation. The last report will be the Probable Cause determination

which
may or may not cite a probable cause..

Not being intimately familiar with the design, the wording in the report
about an inspection mirror does not draw a good mental image for me. Was the
mirror part of the aircraft or was it a misplaced tool? Could it have caused
a control surafce to jam?

D.

Old August 17th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article ,
Capt.Doug says...

Not being intimately familiar with the design, the wording in the report
about an inspection mirror does not draw a good mental image for me. Was the
mirror part of the aircraft or was it a misplaced tool? Could it have caused
a control surafce to jam?

John was using an inspection mirror during the repairs he was doing.Witnesses
reported him using it to see into the boom area by the rear control stick
access. The NTSB said they weren't able to simulate a jam up .I bought the
identical mirror and on an undamaged aircraft was able to simulate a jam up.
The mirror is not part of the equiptment and was found in the wreckage.

See ya

Chuck S