Igc file help. Computer science

Old October 31st 18, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Igc file help. Computer science

Hey guys im taking a computer science class on data structures and algorithms. I wanna do something glider related for my final project. I was thinking about trying to see if there is a pattern between average vario for a task and Xc speed. However, I have no clue how how to obtain such data from an igc file. Also,any suggestion On maybe doing something different for the project are welcome.

Thanks!
Old October 31st 18, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 10:59:48 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hey guys im taking a computer science class on data structures and algorithms. I wanna do something glider related for my final project. I was thinking about trying to see if there is a pattern between average vario for a task and Xc speed. However, I have no clue how how to obtain such data from an igc file. Also,any suggestion On maybe doing something different for the project are welcome.

Thanks!

An IGC file is just a text file. You can search Google for the format specification.
Old October 31st 18, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I did, but i can’t seem to find the format.
Old October 31st 18, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Hirst

On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 6:59:48 AM UTC+13, wrote:
Hey guys im taking a computer science class on data structures and algorithms. I wanna do something glider related for my final project. I was thinking about trying to see if there is a pattern between average vario for a task and Xc speed. However, I have no clue how how to obtain such data from an igc file. Also,any suggestion On maybe doing something different for the project are welcome.

Thanks!

The IGC file records the GPS time, GPS altitude and GPS position. It can also record barometric altitude, engine noise levels and other manufacturer-specific information. As previously stated, a lot of the format info is already out there and the file itself is not hard to decipher. The decision is in what to do with all that info.
SeeYou already processes IGC data to generate flight statistics, so a project in that area probably won't generate anything new. John Wharington used IGC data from multiple gliders at the 2017 worlds in Benalla to generate a lot of useful statistics around how close individual gliders got to each other during contest tasks (answer: scarily close in some instances, with particular repeat offenders!). You may want to repeat that analysis for other contests (with suitable credit to John).
You could also look at the data to show the usefulness (or not) of pulling up in thermals vs. a block speed-to-fly, however this (and a lot of other analysis) really needs other (accelerometer, airspeed, vario) data to be useful.
Good luck with the project, whatever you choose to do.

DH
TX
Old October 31st 18, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Hirst

On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 7:12:35 AM UTC+13, wrote:
I did, but i can’t seem to find the format.

Google "IGC file format" and you'll find all the info you could ever want.

DH TX
Old October 31st 18, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_4_]

At 18:15 31 October 2018, David Hirst wrote:
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 7:12:35 AM UTC+13,
wro=
te:
I did, but i can=E2=80=99t seem to find the format.

Google "IGC file format" and you'll find all the info you could ever

want.

DH TX

http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/do..._spec_gnss.pdf

The file format is from page 17.

Old October 31st 18, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 21:55:10 +0000, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:

http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/do..._spec_gnss.pdf

The file format is from page 17.

I have written a Java package that can read IGC logs. They are read into
a container class that can be used to scan, analyse and write out logs or
parts thereof.

The package can do the same for lists of waypoints. It currently handles
CAI, CUP and EW formats but is designed to be easily extensible for other
waypoint formats. Its currently being used to create the UK landouts and
CGC Fieldbook files some of you are using, so is reasonably well tested.
The code documented using Javadocs but this does assume that its users
can program in Java and have a working understanding of how IGC logs and
waypoint lists are structured.

If this stuff would be useful to any of you, I'm happy to publish it as
open source under the GPL2 license.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old November 1st 18, 08:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Hirst

On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 11:30:24 AM UTC+13, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

Don't go writing his project for him now :-)
Old November 1st 18, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 01 Nov 2018 00:36:57 -0700, David Hirst wrote:

Don't go writing his project for him now :-)

I have no intention of doing that, being a firm believer in the principle
that, if you want to understand something, you have to design and
implement a working solution yourself.

The OP's post was just a trigger to remind me that I'd always intended to
open source my package.

In point of fact the real guts of writing this package in the first place
was a personal requirement to create Yet Another Format I call Open Field
that holds all the information available in the various waypoint file
formats (DAT, CUP and EW) as well as extra stuff needed to describe
useful features of outlanding fields, i.e multiple runway sizes and
surface types, frequencies and call signs in a readable form thats easy
to maintain with a text editor. My package can read and write Open Field
data in all of these formats and is easily extendable to deal with other
formats as well.

While I was writing the Open Source classes I also wrote classes to read
IGC logs because that seemed like a good idea at the time. Currently I'm
thinking of using the IGC classes in a project to convert IGC logs into
KML files. Yes, I know that can already be done by the GPLIGC application
but the latter makes no attempt to display the task data as well: that is
a major omission IMO.

All that said, if I was the OP I'd be hacking out awk scripts or writing
Perl to do his analyses rather than writing Java.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old November 1st 18, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Martin,

I salute you for taking on a project like this simply for the love of
the game.

Best,
Dan

On 11/1/2018 5:00 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

Dan, 5J

Science Qs Greg Farr Aviation Photos 4 April 3rd 08 08:16 AM
Science et vie 01 Patrick R7 Aviation Photos 17 October 19th 07 09:57 AM
Mixture--science vs witchcraft? Douglas Paterson Owning 34 August 28th 07 10:25 PM
TSA Rocket Science Judah Piloting 11 January 15th 04 12:59 AM