ADF in Europe

Old August 26th 05, 11:32 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:18:19 +0200, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Ron,

Is it a true statement
that, so long as I have the required equipment, I can exercise my FAA IFR
privileges in Europe so long as I am flying an N-registered a/c?

Yes.

Thank you for that information.
Old August 26th 05, 02:19 PM

No, they were steam gauge models. The DA42 (european diesel version)
with the G-1000 does have an ADF box - JAA IFR certification was
delayed a bit because of it.

Steve

Old August 26th 05, 02:39 PM
gwengler

Are those long range tanks factory installed or do you need a ferry
permit? I am amazed about the range! With 160KTS you can fly 2400NM
in 15 hrs. by using 8.7gph (no reserves). Is that realistic?
Gerd

Old August 26th 05, 07:08 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 26 Aug 2005 06:39:51 -0700, "gwengler" wrote:

Are those long range tanks factory installed or do you need a ferry
permit? I am amazed about the range! With 160KTS you can fly 2400NM
in 15 hrs. by using 8.7gph (no reserves). Is that realistic?
Gerd

The standard tankage is around 102 gallons. With the long-range tanks that
is increased to 130 gallons. They are an integral part of the wing --
basically an extra fuel tank bay outboard of the normal fuel tanks. I
believe the STC for this is held by Monroy, but the factory will do the
install on a new airplance; or it can be done aftermarket. In neither case
is a ferry permit required.

The longest trip I could see myself planning would be CYYT-LPL which is
about 1232 NM. However, once factoring in the distance to possible
alternates; and possible headwinds; it'd be nice to have the extra fuel.

A local surgeon took his O2 around the world. He had both the long-range
tanks as well as a ferry tank. He did require the permit for the ferry
tank.

Old August 26th 05, 07:18 PM
Julian Scarfe

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message

In Germany, ADFs are required for IFR training aircraft. This is
different from the UK, as Peter posted.

DMEs are required for IFR flying. No substitution by GPS. Yes, I
know...

Related question then...

Some German airports (with class F) appear only to have GPS approaches,
which, according to the plates, require some sort of qualification. Is
there a practical way for a foreign pilot not based in Germany to get that
qualification?

Julian

Old August 27th 05, 01:50 PM
gwengler

Wow! What a great airplane!
Gerd (T182T)

Old August 27th 05, 05:50 PM
Thomas Borchert

Julian,

Some German airports (with class F) appear only to have GPS approaches,
which, according to the plates, require some sort of qualification. Is
there a practical way for a foreign pilot not based in Germany to get that
qualification?

Excellent question. I'm just starting on my German IR, so I don't know. I
believe it is a simple check out/endorsement from a CFI.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 27th 05, 11:21 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 27 Aug 2005 05:50:22 -0700, "gwengler" wrote:

Wow! What a great airplane!
Gerd (T182T)

And if I only had a spare $500,000 USD ...