ADF or RMI?

Old November 21st 03, 09:25 AM
Tom S.

"EDR" wrote in message
In article , Tom S.
wrote:

Any good references on "Flying the RMI"?

Back in the late 1980's one of the aviation magazines had a series of
articles on flying with different navaid indicators. I will have to see
if I still have them.

Thanks, it might he

Old November 27th 03, 12:05 AM
Tom S.

"Peter" wrote in message

"Tom S." wrote

When I quit flying some years back, RMI's were expensive and found

generally
only found in the "heavy metal".

Now they seems quite common? What particular advantages do they offer? I
can't find any good articles (other than marketing) on them.

I was wondering if I should add one to a bird I plan to buy?

Thanks

A dual-needle (ADF+VOR) RMI is a brilliant instrument. For NDB
approaches, DME arcs.

But then nearly all people here are in the USA, and in the USA many
people say a GPS replaces an ADF anyway so that's moot...

Indeed it does. In many ways, it replaces VOR's and especially RNAV's of
"yesterday". However, I'd like to dump the ADF indicator and replace it with
an RMI; that, to my thinking, would give me redundancy and even a better
cross-check.

(Update: the offer is in for the F33A I'm looking to buy. If it's accepted,
delivery should be just in time for Christmas...after some specific training
here locally.)

Old November 29th 03, 06:29 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Tom S." wrote in message ...

was under the (mistaken??) assumption that they made NDB approaches easier.

Yes, an RMI does make an NDB approach easier because an RMI shows
easily and intuitively your bearing to an NDB. It works very similar
to an ADF with a slaved rotating compass card. This means that
applying wind correction on an NDB approach is much easier with an
RMI.

That said, I would not recommend investing money in an RMI right now.
Not only can you get TWO electronic RMIs in a Sandel EHSI, but you can
even set up a portable Garmin 195 or 295 or 196 GPS with a bearing
pointer that functions as an RMI. If you have an IFR-legal ADF in
your airplane, it is perfectly legal to fly an NDB approach while you
supplement your ADF navigation with RMI information from your portable
GPS -- just be sure your ADF remains your primary navigational source.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com
Old November 30th 03, 02:36 PM
Tom S.

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
m...
"Tom S." wrote in message

was under the (mistaken??) assumption that they made NDB approaches

easier.

Yes, an RMI does make an NDB approach easier because an RMI shows
easily and intuitively your bearing to an NDB. It works very similar
to an ADF with a slaved rotating compass card. This means that
applying wind correction on an NDB approach is much easier with an
RMI.

That said, I would not recommend investing money in an RMI right now.
Not only can you get TWO electronic RMIs in a Sandel EHSI, but you can
even set up a portable Garmin 195 or 295 or 196 GPS with a bearing
pointer that functions as an RMI.

Plane I look to buy has an HSI already (King 150 AP/FD), but I was thinking
of replacing the ADF indicator with a dual-needle RMI. Also, it's going to
get a Garmin 530 ro replace the King Loran (not much use out here in the
west).

If you have an IFR-legal ADF in
your airplane, it is perfectly legal to fly an NDB approach while you
supplement your ADF navigation with RMI information from your portable
GPS -- just be sure your ADF remains your primary navigational source.

What does the ADF have to be the primary?

Thanks!!

Tom
--
DeBeers ad's through the years: