adjacent airspace handoff

Old August 14th 05, 09:59 PM
Gary Drescher

Default adjacent airspace handoff

Say I fly VFR from ISP to FRG. It's less than two miles from the end of
ISP's Class C to the start of FRG's Class D (unless I stay below 1500 for
more than ten miles, which I'd rather not do). In a situation like this,
would the Class C controller typically 1) hand me off to the Class D
controller; 2) approve an early frequency change; or 3) neither?

--Gary

Old August 14th 05, 11:25 PM
Bob Gardner

I would address this question to someone at ISP, if I were in this
situation. However, my educated guess is that the handoff has already been
coordinated before the wheels leave the ground. This is surely the subject
of a "letter of agreement" between the facilities.

Bob Gardner

Old August 15th 05, 12:09 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:59:37 -0400, "Gary Drescher"
wrote in
::

Say I fly VFR from ISP to FRG. It's less than two miles from the end of
ISP's Class C to the start of FRG's Class D (unless I stay below 1500 for
more than ten miles, which I'd rather not do). In a situation like this,
would the Class C controller typically 1) hand me off to the Class D
controller; 2) approve an early frequency change; or 3) neither?

My experience has been, that if the Class C controller hands you off
to Approach Control (usually as a result of your request to Clearance
Delivery), airspace transitions will be coordinated.

Old August 15th 05, 02:34 AM
Mike W.

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
news
My experience has been, that if the Class C controller hands you off
to Approach Control (usually as a result of your request to Clearance
Delivery), airspace transitions will be coordinated.

Probably class C towerclass C departure, then they will instruct you to

contact class D tower.

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

Old August 16th 05, 02:36 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message

Say I fly VFR from ISP to FRG. It's less than two miles from the end of
ISP's Class C to the start of FRG's Class D (unless I stay below 1500 for
more than ten miles, which I'd rather not do). In a situation like this,
would the Class C controller typically 1) hand me off to the Class D
controller; 2) approve an early frequency change; or 3) neither?

FAA Order 7110.65P Air Traffic Control

Chapter 7. Visual

Section 8. Class C Service- Terminal

7-8-8. TERMINATION OF SERVICE

Unless aircraft are landing at secondary airports or have requested
termination of service while in the outer area, provide services until the
aircraft departs the associated outer area. Terminate Class C service to
aircraft landing at other than the primary airport at a sufficient distance
from the airport to allow the pilot to change to the appropriate
frequency for traffic and airport information.

PHRASEOLOGY-
CHANGE TO ADVISORY FREQUENCY APPROVED,

or

CONTACT (facility identification).

Old August 16th 05, 02:37 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
news

My experience has been, that if the Class C controller hands you off
to Approach Control (usually as a result of your request to Clearance
Delivery), airspace transitions will be coordinated.

The Class C controller is Approach Control.

Old August 16th 05, 04:09 AM
Gary Drescher

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

Thanks. I notice belatedly that AIM 3-2-4f2 conveys this information too.

--Gary

Old August 16th 05, 09:48 AM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:37:16 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in
et::

The Class C controller is Approach Control.

I was referring to the Class C Local Controller.
Old August 16th 05, 12:07 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

I was referring to the Class C Local Controller.

Well, unless you're staying in the pattern, the Class C Local Controller
will ship everyone to Approach Control.