Navy helo pilots plan tactical training in multi-phase exercise

Old August 22nd 05, 10:28 PM
Otis Willie

Default Navy helo pilots plan tactical training in multi-phase exercise

Navy helo pilots plan tactical training in multi-phase exercise
http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?...;article=31087

{EXCERPT} Stars and Stripes, D.C. - 4 hours ago SUBIC BAY, Philippines
US Navy Lt. jg Amy Sadeghzadeh was the first woman to ever fly a Royal
Brunei Air Force helicopter. When......

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.
-- Otis Willie (Ret.)
Military News and Information Editor
The American War Library, Est. 1988
http://www.amervets.com
Or our phone number dot com (13105320634.com)
16907 Brighton Avenue
Gardena CA 90247
1-310-532-0634

Military Webmaster Site Link Request Form:
http://www.amervets.com/linkreq.htm

Military and Vet Info-Exchange/Discussion Groups
http://members.aol.com/warlibrary/share.htm
Old August 23rd 05, 04:22 AM
Michael Wise

In article ,
Otis Willie wrote:

Navy helo pilots plan tactical training in multi-phase exercise
http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?...;article=31087

{EXCERPT} Stars and Stripes, D.C. - 4 hours ago SUBIC BAY, Philippines
US Navy Lt. jg Amy Sadeghzadeh was the first woman to ever fly a Royal
Brunei Air Force helicopter. When......

The link is broken (BTW, do copyright laws really prohibit reposting of
articles to not-for-profit FYI areas like Usenet?) , but the thought of
Brunei having a Royal Air Force brings a chuckle.

Just a tiny country with a filthy rich sultan/dictator ruling it. On my
1987 world cruise on CV-63, I remember the captain announcing the Sultan
of Brunei was going to be aboard. We all kind of looked at each other
thinking the same thing: where the f*ck is Brunei? After consulting an
atlas, we then pondered why a major US war ship should care about caring
about such a country...until we further read up on the sultan being one
of the richest people on earth.

He trapped aboard on one of VS-33's Hoovers, and a red carpet was rolled
out for him (literally). He wore an olive drab uniform bedecked with
ribbons and pins (despite the fact that he was non-military) and every
squadron in the CVW participated in an air show for his amusement (or
purchasing decisions). Even us lowly HS types were part of the show and
jumped a swimmer (me) abeam the port side. Maybe we impacted his
purchasing decisions after all. What sort of helos does the article
(w/broken link) you're citing refer to?

--Mike
Old August 23rd 05, 04:41 AM
Brett

"Michael Wise" wrote in message
In article ,
Otis Willie wrote:

[...]

I believe you might find that the Sultan attended, and is a graduate of the
Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.

Old August 23rd 05, 06:10 AM
Michael Wise

In article ,
"Brett" wrote:

He trapped aboard on one of VS-33's Hoovers, and a red carpet was rolled
out for him (literally). He wore an olive drab uniform bedecked with
ribbons and pins (despite the fact that he was non-military

I believe you might find that the Sultan attended, and is a graduate of the
Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.

Great, so he attended an academy. What military did he ever actually
serve in? And how did he get all those ribbons* and such in this
mystical military?

--Mike

*in my 1987 cruise book photos, I count approx. 20 ribbons as well as
some sort of airborne/jump wings on his K-mart uniform
Old August 23rd 05, 02:24 PM
Brett

"Michael Wise" wrote:
In article ,
"Brett" wrote:

He trapped aboard on one of VS-33's Hoovers, and a red carpet was

rolled
out for him (literally). He wore an olive drab uniform bedecked with
ribbons and pins (despite the fact that he was non-military

I believe you might find that the Sultan attended, and is a graduate of

the
Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.

Great, so he attended an academy. What military did he ever actually
serve in? And how did he get all those ribbons* and such in this
mystical military?

On graduation he was commissioned a Captain - at the time Brunei was a
British protectorate, independence came in 1984, so how about the British
Army (I'm not sure if British protectorate status gave him UK citizenship,
but it probably did).

Old August 23rd 05, 02:48 PM
Keith W

"Brett" wrote in message
. ..
"Michael Wise" wrote:
In article ,
"Brett" wrote:

He trapped aboard on one of VS-33's Hoovers, and a red carpet was

rolled
out for him (literally). He wore an olive drab uniform bedecked with
ribbons and pins (despite the fact that he was non-military

I believe you might find that the Sultan attended, and is a graduate of

the
Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.

Great, so he attended an academy. What military did he ever actually
serve in? And how did he get all those ribbons* and such in this
mystical military?

On graduation he was commissioned a Captain - at the time Brunei was a
British protectorate, independence came in 1984, so how about the British
Army (I'm not sure if British protectorate status gave him UK citizenship,
but it probably did).

Any service was pretty dammed brief , his official bio says

"he later qualified for admission as an officer cadet at the
Sandhurst Royal Military Academy and was commissioned
as a Captain in 1967. He left Sandhurst in October of the
same year to ascend the throne."

Keith

Old August 23rd 05, 08:08 PM
Mike Kanze

Don't forget that Brunei sits over a large pool of crude and that having a
guy like the sultan on our side in a very unstable region (then and
especially now) might be considered by Washington as a plus.

We used to do the same firepower demos for Marcos when he was "president" of
the Philippines. Detestable little runt, but it preserved Subic/Cubi and
Clark during a time when we really needed those bases.

--
Mike Kanze

"If you want to feel secure about the world, never talk to a member of the
generation that's running it."

- Jeremy Duncan (ZITS comic strip, 7/9/05)

Old August 23rd 05, 10:41 PM
Michael Wise

In article ,
"Mike Kanze" wrote:

Don't forget that Brunei sits over a large pool of crude and that having a
guy like the sultan on our side in a very unstable region (then and
especially now) might be considered by Washington as a plus.

Yeah, I get all that. I just found his military uniform with an
impressive array of ribbons to be comical.

We used to do the same firepower demos for Marcos when he was "president" of
the Philippines. Detestable little runt, but it preserved Subic/Cubi and
Clark during a time when we really needed those bases.

I don't recall doing any airshows for him, but my PI visits were at the
tail-end of his "reign." We did do a show for Mohammad Zia ul-Haq
(former president of Pakistan) though.

--Mike

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
[OT] USA - TSA Obstructing Armed Pilots? No Spam! Military Aviation 120 January 27th 04 10:19 AM
PC flight simulators Bjørnar Bolsøy Military Aviation 178 December 14th 03 12:14 PM