New Cessna

Old October 4th 05, 05:01 PM
gwengler

Default New Cessna

I talked to someone who has seen a drawing of the new Cessna line of
models. It will be high wing and it is planned to have four doors. Up
to six seats should be possible. The cabin width will be 54". The
interior will be more "automotive" style with G1000 avionics. It will
be as fast as the Cirrus airplanes. The engine hasn't been decided,
but apparently Cessna is considering a Diesel engine as an option. A
turbo charged engine will be an option for sure. Plastic or metal
hasn't been decided either; however, Cessna's long term aluminum
supply contract will end in 2007.

Gerd

Old October 4th 05, 06:11 PM

Interesting. I read a while back that SMA or Thielert was talking to "a
major OEM airframe mfr" about providing engines for future aircraft.

The four-door idea is curious though, I don't recall Cessna ever doing
that before in a single.

Plastic or metal hasn't been decided either; however, Cessna's long term aluminum

supply contract will end in 2007.

Is this the same company (Alcoa?) that sold them bad stock that ended
up on the '97 model year 172/182? I can't imagine (although I'd love to
see it) them building a composite aircraft because of the high
development cost involved(?)

It will be as fast as the Cirrus airplanes. The engine hasn't been decided

Seems that maybe they ARE thinking glass? To go that fast with a diesel
would require pretty high HP and a slick airframe IMO. It would be neat
to see Cessna break the mold in a big way and come out with something
really spectacular.

Old October 5th 05, 12:54 AM

gwengler wrote:
The engine hasn't been decided,
but apparently Cessna is considering a Diesel engine as an option. A

That's the part that doesn't sound right to me, unless Cessna really
has got religion about doing something completely new. They are
probably the only company in the world that could make this work. But
it's one hell of a gamble for them, too. Like I said, that doesn't
sound like the Cessna we know.

turbo charged engine will be an option for sure. Plastic or metal
hasn't been decided either; however, Cessna's long term aluminum
supply contract will end in 2007.

Considering that Cessna will still be producing aluminum Citations
after 2007 I think that's pretty much a red herring, no?

-cwk.

Old October 5th 05, 01:37 AM
Darkwing \(Badass\)

wrote in message
oups.com...

gwengler wrote:
The engine hasn't been decided,
but apparently Cessna is considering a Diesel engine as an option. A

That's the part that doesn't sound right to me, unless Cessna really
has got religion about doing something completely new. They are
probably the only company in the world that could make this work. But
it's one hell of a gamble for them, too. Like I said, that doesn't
sound like the Cessna we know.

Not to mention that Lycoming and Cessna are owned by the same parent
company, why buy (the engine) from a competitor?

DW

Old October 5th 05, 02:07 AM
George Patterson

Matt Whiting wrote:

You don't need glass to make a slick airframe.

No, but the slickest ones use compound curves, which are much more easily made
using composites.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 5th 05, 03:16 AM
Ash Wyllie

Badass\ opined

wrote in message
roups.com...

gwengler wrote:
The engine hasn't been decided,
but apparently Cessna is considering a Diesel engine as an option. A

That's the part that doesn't sound right to me, unless Cessna really
has got religion about doing something completely new. They are
probably the only company in the world that could make this work. But
it's one hell of a gamble for them, too. Like I said, that doesn't
sound like the Cessna we know.

Not to mention that Lycoming and Cessna are owned by the same parent
company, why buy (the engine) from a competitor?

Because you might not be buying the best engine, and in the long run that
would be a very expensive mistake.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2005!
Why wait for nature?

Old October 5th 05, 04:17 AM
cjcampbell

Darkwing (Badass) wrote:

Not to mention that Lycoming and Cessna are owned by the same parent
company, why buy (the engine) from a competitor?

Besides, Lycoming *could* be developing a diesel engine.

Old October 5th 05, 04:35 AM
George Patterson

cjcampbell wrote:

Besides, Lycoming *could* be developing a diesel engine.

They were working on one a few years ago, but I haven't heard anything about it
recently. IIRC, they proposed using water-cooled heads on air-cooled cylinders.