Crash Trends

Old October 4th 05, 06:26 PM

Now I'm even seeing some pop up ads from a company that claims you can get
your IFR ticket in 10 days!!

That's nothing new. To me it's no different from getting a multi rating
in 2-3 days. (I did) I also realized that while I had the rating I
wasn't an experienced twin pilot and needed a lot more flight time
before I was comfortable with two fans. For that matter a 10-day IFR
pilot probably shouldn't be attempting IMC conditions (certainly not
low IMC) without another pilot until the experience level comes up,
although there will be those that will do it solo. It may be easier in
a glass panel Cirrus than an old 172/Warrior but I think a conservative
approach pays off long term.

Old October 4th 05, 06:41 PM
Skylune

Dresher wrote: "You're mistaken. The Nall report has always expressed
accident and
fatality
rates as a function of hours flown. Otherwise, the rates would not be
meaningful as measures of safety"

OK. I thought they only pointed to the raw accident and fatality stats,
which as you pointed out would be meaningless statistically. (Of course,
the press will just report on the percentage increase in fatalities
without normalizing for flight hours, which is ok by me.)

Is there any data on YTD hours flown, by category of GA?

Old October 4th 05, 06:44 PM
Skylune

LMAO. Drinking egg-nog from a specimin container. But why on earth does
the FAA care if you are a diabetic, but couldn't care less about whether
you are a coke head? More weirdness.....

Old October 4th 05, 07:00 PM
Darkwing \(Badass\)

"Skylune" wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
LMAO. Drinking egg-nog from a specimin container. But why on earth does
the FAA care if you are a diabetic, but couldn't care less about whether
you are a coke head? More weirdness.....

Like this? - http://citybrat.com/p397.htm

DW

Old October 4th 05, 07:25 PM
RST Engineering

And you are willing to pay the IAs time to report the hours on your
airplane? Paperwork or inspection, time is time.

Jim

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
I've always wondered why the FAA doesn't track hours flown. It should be
as
simple as having every IA report the total hours since the last annual on
every aircraft they inspect.

Old October 4th 05, 07:27 PM
RST Engineering

It's worse drinking Chardonnay out of a specimen cup.

Jim

"Steve Foley" wrote in message

.. Invariably, someone would neglect to buy cups
for the christmas party, so we would run out back and grab a stack off the
production line. And if you didn't finish your egg-nog, you could get a
leak-proof cap and bring it home.

Old October 4th 05, 07:49 PM
Dave Stadt

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
And you are willing to pay the IAs time to report the hours on your
airplane? Paperwork or inspection, time is time.

Jim

I don't know about others but I've got better things to spend my money on.
The numbers would be nice to look at for a minute or two every year but I
can't see how they would improve safety or provide any additional insight
into accident statistics.

Old October 4th 05, 08:05 PM
Jay Beckman

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
It's worse drinking Chardonnay out of a specimen cup.

Jim

Seems redundant...

Jay B

Old October 4th 05, 08:28 PM
Steve Foley

OOPS - I Guess I missed that.

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Steve Foley wrote:

I've always wondered why the FAA doesn't track hours flown.

They do. They ask at every medical exam.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your

neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Old October 4th 05, 08:37 PM
Steve Foley

Depends on how much if a PITA it is.

I always ASS-U-MEd that you (an IA) were required to report something each
year regarding the annuals you've done.

I had forgotten about the report on the medical. I don't remember, do they
ask for hours since the last medical, or total hours?

I think that hours on the aircraft would be a more accurate measure, since
there is a good chance the IA can figure it out with the log books at hand.

As for paying for the time: I don't complain about the $45/hour shop rate
where I go when I have to pay Pep-Boys $65/hours.

I've always wondered why the FAA doesn't track hours flown. It should be
as
simple as having every IA report the total hours since the last annual

on
every aircraft they inspect.

Doubts raised in jet crash Dave Butler Piloting 8 July 26th 05 01:25 AM
Yet another A36 crash H.P. Piloting 10 April 23rd 05 05:58 PM
update on Montrose crash Bob Moore Piloting 3 November 29th 04 02:38 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
Sunday's Crash in LI Sound Marco Leon Piloting 0 November 5th 03 04:34 PM