BUNO of Corsair damaged in Alabama museum

Old September 19th 07, 01:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Callahan

Default BUNO of Corsair damaged in Alabama museum

This is the "true" Bureau Number of the aircraft brought back to Pensacola
after it was damaged in Hurricane Katrina.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009R.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	17050
Old September 19th 07, 02:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Tom Callahan" wrote in
:

This is the "true" Bureau Number of the aircraft brought back to
Pensacola after it was damaged in Hurricane Katrina.

begin 666 IMG_0009R.jpg

Attachment decoded: IMG_0009R.jpg
`
end

You know,
I wish when they put these on display, they would LEAVE the real numbers
on them..
there are two B-17s with the Memphis Belle IDs.

back to the F-4U
according to Joe baugher's database..(and other sources)

Thats a DISPLAY or tribute number...

"129359 on display at Mobile, AL Airpark, but this is really 133704
marked as 129359".

And to really screw things up, there is a Corsair flying in France
carrying the false Buno of 133704, while its really 124541
"Former Argentinian F4U-5NL Bu#124541 modified in the F4U-7 standard
with Bu #133704 Civil registration : F-AZYS "

Sure makes it hard to keep up with these things...

Old September 20th 07, 06:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jim Morris[_2_]

"John Szalay" wrote in message
42...
"Tom Callahan" wrote in
:

[...]

John, I like airplanes in all shapes and sizes. I like knowing the histories
behind them. But, man, you actually keep track of them. I can't imagine the
time you put in. What kind of job do you have? Are you employed in the
aviation field ?
vr,
jm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1662rs.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	17090
Old September 20th 07, 08:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default BUNO of Corsair damaged in Alabama museum - File 1 of 3 - 061205-F-0000G-022.jpg (0/2)

"Jim Morris" wrote in
:

[...]

I CANNOT take credit for work that others have done, Joe Baugher
is the one whom I consider has the best job of tracking serials
I have added to his information, but I use his database as the master
reference. and send to him what ever I can verify.

I'm retired after 36 years in engineering prototype work.
also Ex-military, (Pathfinder with many hours in the air.)

right now I'm trying to find as much information I can about this airplane.
from what I have found, this plane when it crashed killed
my fathers best buddy. Dec 7 1941
Pvt Edward Sullivan

Old September 20th 07, 08:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default BUNO of Corsair damaged in Alabama museum - File 2 of 3 - plane1.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plane1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	17112
Old September 20th 07, 08:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default BUNO of Corsair damaged in Alabama museum - File 3 of 3 - sullivan.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sullivan.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	17113
Old September 20th 07, 09:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Proton Fox

John Szalay wrote in
42:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg plane1.jpg (132.4 KB, 51 views)
Old September 20th 07, 10:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Proton Fox wrote in
:

John Szalay wrote in
42:
end

This aircraft, Mitsubishi A6M2 Navy Type 0 "Rei-sen" (Zero Fighter)
A1-154 off of the carrier Akagi crashed at Ft. Kamehameha on Oahu
during the Pearl Harbor raid.

Thanks
I've got all that, including the Japanese magazine article, there are
a lot more pictures of it, in the archives including the rebuilding
in the hanger. to evaluate the plane. just trying to find more..
those two photos of Sullivan are from my dad service photos.
they (dad & Ed ) were assigned to the Coast Artillery in 1940
and all I had when dad died, were the pictures and a small note
in the album. about Sullivans death when & how.
still searching the National Archives for more.. planning a trip to Dayton
to see if they have the investigation papers on the crash...
and perhaps some more data.. all started with the snapshots in the album..
Old September 20th 07, 11:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Default BUNO of Corsair damaged in Alabama museum - File 1 of 3 - 061205-F-0000G-022.jpg

right now I'm trying to find as much information I can about this airplane.

from what I have found, this plane when it crashed killed
my fathers best buddy. Dec 7 1941
Pvt Edward Sullivan

Check out "Pearl Harbor Japanese Aircraft Crash Sites, Records & Artifacts
" at http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/otherres.htm for info on similar PH
crashes. If you post there in the forum the inhouse experts will be able to
help you right away. They're real experts.

Brian
Old September 21st 07, 02:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

wrote in news:46f2f222$0$24756
:

http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/otherres.htm