Free Wi-Fi at EAA AirVenture

Old April 29th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Free Wi-Fi at EAA AirVenture

http://www.airventure.org/2008/news/080422_wifi.html
Log On at AirVenture With Free Wi-Fi

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh is supplying one of most-requested items for
campers at its event with an expansion of free wireless Internet
access this summer. Wi-Fi access will be available in many areas of
the North 40 aircraft camping area, the drive-in Camp Scholler
campground, and in the vintage aircraft and ultralight camping areas.

This access is provided free of charge to EAA members and their guests
in those campgrounds. Signal strength may vary because of computer
type and setup, weather conditions and other factors.

In addition, EAA members can log on to their e-mail through computers
provided at Internet Cafes located in EAA Member Village and in Camp
Scholler. A limited number of Ethernet connections are available for
members at those locations as well.

"We’re expanding wireless access because we know that many members
want to stay connected during their trips to EAA AirVenture," said Tom
Poberezny, EAA president and AirVenture chairman. "We’re happy to
respond to the requests from our members and supply this resource
without charge in our camping areas. And we remind them that complete
coverage of each day’s events throughout the grounds will be available
at www.AirVenture.org."

EAA AirVenture, "The World’s Greatest Aviation Celebration," will be
held July 28-August 3 at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh. For more
information, please visit the AirVenture website.
Old April 30th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh is supplying one of most-requested items for
campers at its event with an expansion of free wireless Internet
access this summer. Wi-Fi access will be available in many areas of
the North 40 aircraft camping area, the drive-in Camp Scholler
campground, and in the vintage aircraft and ultralight camping areas.

I remember last year, as we all sat in the North 40 enjoying the afterglow
of a warm summer evening, at the end of a glorious day, supping a cold
one -- and watching a group of guys huddled furtively around a single laptop
with web access. Like early humans crouched around a campfire, their faces
were illuminated by the eerie glow of the LCD screen, and they spoke in
hushed tones while impatiently waiting their turn to surf. It was...weird.

I knew it was the beginning of the end. And now, alas, our last
computer-free zone is gone.

I've got nothing against computers -- hell, I own seven of them, plus a
web-enabled smart phone, and my life literally revolves around the
internet -- but I'll be damned if I'm going to take time away from the OSH
experience so I can check email. Call me a Luddite, but for one week out
of the year, I will continue to go "computer-free"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 30th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

[...]

Awww, you're not going to post endless mindless "PIREPS" for a whole
week?

Bertie