Feather Duster I and II programs

Old September 13th 03, 10:17 PM
Guy Alcala

Juvat wrote:

Guy Alcala posted:

P.S. Do the articles you found describe the F-104 tactics used against the
F-86Hs? I've got that.

I don't...I have a couple "Double Attack" articles from FWR (1971 I
think)...with editor's note at the end of each reminding readers that
Fluid Four is how to get the job done.

Snip info on pubs. Thanks

Well, to give you the short version, if the (1 v. 1) Zip started on the
defensive (420 kts)at low altitude, they'd go negative-G into ground clutter
until reaching about 1.1M, making rapid banking reversals to prevent gun/missile
shots (rare, as the F-86 pilots found it almost imposssible to reverse and get
into a gun/missile envelope owing to their low speed after the defensive break
and the negative closure on the accelerating 104s). Once out of AIM-9B/Atoll
range, they'd begin a climbing turn at about M1.0 and 2g; typically, by the time
they'd reached 180 deg. of turn the F-86s would have lost sight, and the F-104s
would go offensive. When offensive, they'd start their pass at a minimum of
500-600Kts, which would allow them to pull up to 5g sustained (more got into
buffet) and track the 86s for a gun shot, allowing speed to bleed down to no
lower than 400 knots (Note that they'd only turn with the F-86s when the latter
were fast, .7M; otherwise, they just made slashing attacks) before quarter
rolling away, and proceed as for the defensive separation above. Same basic
procedures for 2 v. 2 and 4 v. 4, except that double attack was used and the
offensive passes were usually started at 1.1M and speed wasn't allowed to go
below 500 kts.

For the high altitude combats (35kft. start), the same basic technique was used,
except that the initial dive and separation was steeper (ca. 40 deg.) until
reaching M1.4 or so @ 10kft, then proceed as before. At both high and low
altitude, once the 104s got their energy up after the initial defensive start
they were never defensive again. As far as Tom knew, there was only a single,
iffy kill called on the 104s by the 86s. One pilot started his climbing spiral
a bit early, and the 86 pilot was able to get a tone at about 2,000 ft. range
with negative closure. The range officer agreed that the shot was edge of the
envelope, but the Zipper pilot admitted that he'd made a mistake and would have
had to break if a missile had been fired.

Guy

Old September 13th 03, 11:18 PM
Walt BJ

Guy Alcala wrote: Snip:
P.S. Do the articles you found describe the F-104 tactics used against the
F-86Hs? I've got that.
Snip:

Guy, I'd like to see that 104/86H piece, if it's not too much trouble.
BTW I tried to send you a message but 'postoffice.pacbell' refused it.
Walt BJ
Old September 14th 03, 02:48 AM
Guy Alcala

Walt BJ wrote:

Guy Alcala wrote: Snip:
P.S. Do the articles you found describe the F-104 tactics used against the
F-86Hs? I've got that.
Snip:

Guy, I'd like to see that 104/86H piece, if it's not too much trouble.
BTW I tried to send you a message but 'postoffice.pacbell' refused it.

Is my reply to 'Juvat' giving the 'short' version, adequate? There was much
repetition describing the 1 v.1, 2 v.2, and 4 v. 4, so I was able to condense
quite a bit. Besides, you already know the result; the Zip kicked butt;-) Of
course, damn near any supersonic fighter with adequate fuel should be able to
control the engagement against a subsonic bird like the F-86 if they can avoid
the initial attack, although an F-100 (and I imagine the F-102) would probably
find things a lot tougher. The F-86 pilots said the 104s were the toughest
opponents they'd faced (they'd already gone up against F-100s, F-102s, F-105s,
and F-4Cs), and were quite impressed with the 104's ability to sustain high g
turns at speed. Despite their better radius, the 86s were unable to cut the
corner to take shots, because the 104s stayed fast while turning.

Guy

P.S. Losing "postoffice.", (plus the obvious Spam trap you'd already deleted)
and keeping the rest should work.

Old September 14th 03, 07:33 AM
Juvat

Guy Alcala posted:

Well, to give you the short version...

As always, much obiliged.

Juvat
Old September 14th 03, 10:03 AM
Andy Bush

Walt

Did the A model have a 550/1.8M limit on the takeoff flap position? The G
model limit was 450/.85M.

In the G, we were competitive with the F-4, but if the F-4 was clean, it had
a higher max G limit at CV that we could not match (although at those
parameters, individual aircraft capability was nowhere as important as was
individual pilot capability).
"Walt BJ" wrote in message
om...
Ed Rasimus wrote in message

. ..
Juvat wrote:
Minor correction - The 435th/479thTFW was at George AFB. However us

Zipper pilots at Homestead read the same books. Mainly, Boyd, Riccione
and Rutowsky - I was squadron weapons officer 1964-1966 and got
'double attack' adopted. The way I sold it was describing it as 'fluid
four' with no wingmen. We normallly flew in pairs anyway. Since we had
28 F104As looking at 125 MiG 21s down in Cuba, pairs maximized
flexibility. We also had a comprehensive combat crew training program
to get new pilots up to flight lead as soon as possible. This of
course made 'double attack/loose deuce' eminently practical. FWIW a
program similar to 'Featherduster' was flown in 1968 with the Dash 19
104As as players. I had gone over to the 'dark side' by then (F4s) but
two of my very good friends went out to Edwards and flew against the
MiGs. No contest; the Dash 19 was unattackable in high cruise by the
MiG 17 (M 0.95) and the MiG 21 couldn't sustain energy in maneuvering.
FWIW using takeoff/maneuvering flaps (limit 550/1.8M) the 104A could
out-turn the F4. Corner velocity was around 425 IAS.
FWIW I was a 104 flight examiner and IP/maintenance test pilot in the
F4.
Walt BJ

Old September 14th 03, 11:47 PM
Guy Alcala

Andy Bush wrote:

Walt

Did the A model have a 550/1.8M limit on the takeoff flap position? The G
model limit was 450/.85M.

I think Walt's memory is in error here. The F-104A-D Dash -1 (dated 1 June 1968
says the limits are 450/0.80M, with no Mach restriction if = 330 kts. BTW, did
you guys keep the tip tanks on in a hassle? ISTR that the G wings were strong
enough to do so, and the tanks improved the turn capability.

In the G, we were competitive with the F-4, but if the F-4 was clean, it had
a higher max G limit at CV that we could not match (although at those
parameters, individual aircraft capability was nowhere as important as was
individual pilot capability).

Max. G for the F-104A was +7.33, but with tip AIM-9s or launchers it's only 5.6
(symmetrical) with less than 4,000 lb. fuel. The F-104C is slightly higher with
the same fuel, 6.0 with tip launchers, 5.3 with missiles, symmetrical and clean
wing. I imagine both were exceeded as needed.

As far as G capability of the various versions, Tom Delashaw said that his least
favorite version for A/A was the G, owing to it being heavier and more nose
heavy than the USAF versions, with no more thrust than the C. He also didn't
think the big tail was necessary for A/A, although when loaded with max. tanks
and stores I imagine it was needed for stability. He felt that the A or C model
could sustain more G than an F-4, as long as you were over 500 KCAS, while the
F-4 had an instantaneous G advantage. The F-104A w/-19 that Walt flew should
blow the doors off any F-4 except in turn radius, even the F-4F.

Guy