On the subject of callsigns - what was the most preposterous you have seen?

Old August 22nd 03, 03:08 AM
Walt BJ

I was thumbing through the JANAP call sign book once and came across
"Dingleberry" - it was a navy ship, forget what kind, DD maybe.
Walt BJ
Old August 22nd 03, 04:04 AM
John Alger

"José Herculano" wrote in message .. .

Please do share the most preposterous you have come across.

Not very preposterous, but whilst in VT-24 we had a Marine instructor
with the moniker of "Brillo". Hair was just like a brillo pad, but he
was not a man of color.

Unlike "Peaches" I know one guy whose callsign changed over the years.
When we were going through training and for some years later he was
known as "Lurch", later as "Slim".

John "Spartan" Alger
Scooters, SLUFs, Hercs, and Orions
Old August 23rd 03, 02:25 AM
Mike Kanze

I spent my MIDN 3rd Class cruise on the USS BRAINE (DD-630), callsign
"Snowdrift".

One of the carriers we operated with that summer (can't recall which) had
the callsign "Climax".

--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"I've had a lot of calls asking if my dog Ernest was running for Governor.
I explained to each caller that Ernest died several years ago, to which the
usual response has been, 'So what?' Come to think of it, would a dead dog
running for Governor make California look any more weird than it already
does?"

- Al Shugart, Chairman - Friends of Ernest (San José Mercury-News, 8-16-03)

om...

Old August 23rd 03, 01:04 PM
John Carrier

Rampage -- Hancock

R / John

Old August 23rd 03, 08:00 PM
Mike Kanze

CORAL SEA was "Mustang", leading to any number of her JO bunkrooms calling
themselves "Mustang Ranch" during her long career.

--

"Elmshoot" wrote in message

One of the carriers we operated with that summer (can't recall which) had
the callsign "Climax".

Climax is Enterprise,
Panther is Kitty Hawk

Too many gin and Tonics to remember the rest.

Sparky

Old August 23rd 03, 08:24 PM
Bob McKellar

"Elmshoot" wrote in message

One of the carriers we operated with that summer (can't recall which) had
the callsign "Climax".

Climax is Enterprise,
Panther is Kitty Hawk

Too many gin and Tonics to remember the rest.

Sparky

My only ship, W.S.Sims (DE-1059) was "Credit Clerk".

That did not lead to much bragging at the club.

A clear winner in the category "Least Macho Call Sign".

Bob McKellar

Old August 23rd 03, 09:01 PM
Bill Kambic

"Bob McKellar" wrote in message

snipped for brevity

My only ship, W.S.Sims (DE-1059) was "Credit Clerk".

That did not lead to much bragging at the club.

A clear winner in the category "Least Macho Call Sign".

oh yeah? Oh Yeah? OH YEAH?!?!?!?!?!

How 'bout "Tacky Botfly?" USS BLANDY (DD-943), Summer of '67.

Bill Kambic

P.S. Sorry for the macho thing, but when you got a call sign like that you
get into a fair number of scapes! :-)

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you
to get over it.

Old August 24th 03, 01:51 AM
vincent p. norris

One of the carriers we operated with that summer (can't recall which) had
the callsign "Climax".

Probably in honor of a town of that name in Colorado.

Some years ago, a resident of that town wrote a letter to The Wretched
Mess News (a great little newspaper published in West Yellowstone),
"You have no idea how fatiguing it is to be in Climax 24 hours a day."

vince norris
Old August 24th 03, 01:44 PM
Pechs1

Story went like this. When the F-14 RAG was co-habitating weith the F-4 rag at
Oceana(I think). Since the F-14 was the 'Tomcat', guys would clear the runway
and ask ground to 'taxi to the cathouse'...callsign for the F-4 RAG was
'Nutgrass', instructors started asking for taxi to the 'nut house'...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old August 24th 03, 01:45 PM
Pechs1

Callsign for VF-33, before they changed it to 'starfighter' was 'cupcake'..
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)