Glider over volcano photo

Old July 7th 17, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Bick (ZN7)

Default Glider over volcano photo

Does anyone know who took this photo? Or anything else about it. Not sure whether there is a hint in the file name or not? Google search didn't turn up anything of relevance. (Let me know if problems with link.)
https://app.box.com/s/mtciqgguzyfli2vl9lx95ag5u7g79hgd
Eric B.
Old July 7th 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Bick (ZN7)

On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 9:19:08 AM UTC-6, Eric Bick (ZN7) wrote:
Does anyone know who took this photo? Or anything else about it. Not sure whether there is a hint in the file name or not? Google search didn't turn up anything of relevance. (Let me know if problems with link.)
https://app.box.com/s/mtciqgguzyfli2vl9lx95ag5u7g79hgd
Eric B.

BTW: Motivation - Smithsonian Air & Space Museum found this in their archives and want to make it a part of an exhibition on soaring. They want to be able to acknowledge the photographer.
Old July 7th 17, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

http://www.rcsoaring.com/rcsd/RCSD-2017-04.pdf had some discussion and links to other sizes, but no information.

Old July 7th 17, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Robin Dautremer is apparently the photographer. Lives in France. Villarrica volcano in Chile.
Old July 7th 17, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Bick (ZN7)

On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 10:25:08 AM UTC-6, Duster wrote:
Robin Dautremer is apparently the photographer. Lives in France. Villarrica volcano in Chile.

Thanks. We'll see if we can track this down.
Old July 7th 17, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Amazing what you can find on google maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vi...!4d-71.9391666
/data=%213m1%211e3%214m5%213m4%211s0x961389c7dc586f a3:0x37939735bfdb0d4b%218m2%213d-39.4208333%214d-71.9391666

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 8th 17, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Garrett McEwen

OK, now I'm curious. Are they climbing? Are volcanos good thermal producers? Is the poison gas a concern?
Old July 8th 17, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Jean-Marc Clememt was the pilot.

Bert TW
Old July 9th 17, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Le vendredi 7 juillet 2017 18:09:55 UTC+2, Eric Bick (ZN7) a écritÂ*:
On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 9:19:08 AM UTC-6, Eric Bick (ZN7) wrote:
Does anyone know who took this photo? Or anything else about it. Not sure whether there is a hint in the file name or not? Google search didn't turn up anything of relevance. (Let me know if problems with link.)
https://app.box.com/s/mtciqgguzyfli2vl9lx95ag5u7g79hgd
Eric B.

BTW: Motivation - Smithsonian Air & Space Museum found this in their archives and want to make it a part of an exhibition on soaring. They want to be able to acknowledge the photographer.

Dear friends,

The photo was taken by myself from my Stemme D-KKOP at the Villarica, a volcano just north of Pucon/Chile. It is one of a series of photos I shot at that day. The wave in the lee of the volcano gave us the opportunity to climb again after each photo.

The glider "in" the volcano is a Nimbus 3 DM, D-KTTT. The pilots are Josef Holzapfel and his son. We started from San Martin de los Andes to this pleasant flight.

Kind regards

Klaus Ohlmann
Old July 9th 17, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

The glider "in" the volcano is a Nimbus 3 DM, D-KTTT. The pilots are Josef Holzapfel and his son. We started from San Martin de los Andes to this pleasant flight.

Kind regards

Klaus Ohlmann

Stunning! And here's another that was taken on the same flight? If you don't mind, I'll PM the poster with the "real" story.

http://mwp.flightplanner.info/images..._Villarica.jpg