A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Insurance

Old May 5th 19, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

New glider owner - looking to purchase insurance- companies - cost? Value sailplane + trailer = $32,000
Old May 5th 19, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

Take a look at Starr Aviation Insurance.

On 5/5/2019 10:53 AM, wrote:
New glider owner - looking to purchase insurance- companies - cost? Value sailplane + trailer = $32,000

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 5th 19, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 10:53:28 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Costello usually offers some of the best rates available, especially if you are an SSA member, and you can get an additional reduction for being an AOPA member as well. There are other options out there as well. Don't know much about them though.
Old May 5th 19, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

I'm with LLJohns right now. They were the best bang for the buck when I got quotes. However, I'm up for renewal and will be getting fresh quotes.

PA
Old May 5th 19, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

The little I have looked, Costello/SSA is easy (they know what we do) and is pretty good. Other insurers may have little clue about sailplanes, so......either charge a lot or are a PITA "if" you have a claim.
Pays to really read the fine print.....
Old May 5th 19, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 10:53:28 AM UTC-6, wrote:

When I owned a Phoebus C, my head hit and broke the canopy when towed through a 20 knot Moriarty thermal. I was insured with LLJohns and the claim was handled quickly and without a hassle. Both LLJohns and Costello are excellent. I ended up with Costello because LLJohns would not insure my RS-15, because it was a home built glider, and Costello would. Premiums are about the same. If you do not fly during the winter months, you can save on premiums with Costello.

Mike
Old May 5th 19, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

To all who responded, thanks a bunch as your info will allow me to do serious comparisons.
Sailplane is an LS3a, 1979, completely refinished. Trailer is an older Comet, that needs a little tlc.
Old May 6th 19, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

Check with Avemco, a little more than costello, but will defend a claim when they are suing for everything forever. I have seen them in action and was sold. probably a 100 bucks mire percyear but worth it in my opinion.
Old May 6th 19, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 7:32:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Check with Avemco, a little more than costello, but will defend a claim when they are suing for everything forever. I have seen them in action and was sold. probably a 100 bucks mire percyear but worth it in my opinion.

I had my H301 insured through AVEMCO for a very long time. Never had a claim and I couldn't say anything bad about them. However, after I sold the H301, they declined to insure my new (to me) high-performance two-seater despite it being in the standard category. I am now insured through LLJohns. Their rates are very competitive and they are very responsive.

Uli
'AS'

Old May 6th 19, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Insurance

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 4:32:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:

+1 for Avemco.
Their policy will cover a rated pilot for rentals of not just glider but also SEL.
Jim