Holding Pattern Question

Old September 27th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Default Holding Pattern Question

rip wrote:

ATC won't clear anyone into your block of airspace until after your EFC
time to prevent two aircraft in IMC from using the same space.

Non radar only.

Old September 28th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

In article ,
rip wrote:

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Why not?

Waiting for the ETA ties up airspace and delays other aircraft.

ATC won't clear anyone into your block of airspace until after your EFC
time to prevent two aircraft in IMC from using the same space.

Rip

Sure they will. You land, find a phone, call 1-800-WX-BRIEF and say, "This
is N12345, on the ground at KXYZ, cancel IFR".
Old September 28th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

In article ,
John Godwin wrote:

Mark Hansen wrote in
:

If you lose just transmitter or just receiver you can still
communicate one-way. Two-way radio communications failure means loss
of both transmitter and receiver.

That's ridiculous.

"Bugsmasher 34 Romeo, if you read, squawk 4221"

In my case, it was, "N17AV, if you read this transmission, turn left 30
degrees and ident", which was soon followed by, "Radar contact, continue
along previously cleared route". Or words to that effect.

Our route was POU V157 HAARP HPN. Once you get to the bend in V157, you're
very close to the ILS-16 localizer. We decided to just go for the
localizer as soon as we got there. The moment we left the airway, we
heard, "N17AV, you appear to be flying the ILS-16, cleared approach".

We flew the approach. We didn't see any light signals from the tower, nor
did we waste any effort looking for them. We landed, and taxied off the
runway. Our handheld VHF, which didn't work for **** in the air, was able
to talk to ground. We taxied back to the ramp with them and that was the
end of that.
Old September 28th 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Frank Ch. Eigler

Dave Butler writes:

When you go NORDO ATC is going to clear everyone else out of your
way. Just get on the ground and relieve ATC of their misery.

Sounds plausible for a bugsmasher, maybe. But, imagine how ATC (and
NORAD for that matter) might respond to a bigger plane that goes NORDO
and instead of following the proper procedures, starts improvising.

- FChE
Old September 28th 07, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Since 9/11, I would expect a NORDO big iron to be
intercepted by an F16.

Old September 28th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
Dave Butler writes:

When you go NORDO ATC is going to clear everyone else out of your
way. Just get on the ground and relieve ATC of their misery.

Sounds plausible for a bugsmasher, maybe. But, imagine how ATC (and
NORAD for that matter) might respond to a bigger plane that goes NORDO
and instead of following the proper procedures, starts improvising.

Happens many times everyday. Some airliner misses his radio call and
flies out of range of the sector he was talking to. All radios work
fine yet he is NORDO. We try and get him on 121.5. Eventually we do
but it might be 100 miles.
Old September 29th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

In article ,
Newps wrote:

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
Dave Butler writes:

When you go NORDO ATC is going to clear everyone else out of your
way. Just get on the ground and relieve ATC of their misery.

Sounds plausible for a bugsmasher, maybe. But, imagine how ATC (and
NORAD for that matter) might respond to a bigger plane that goes NORDO
and instead of following the proper procedures, starts improvising.

Happens many times everyday. Some airliner misses his radio call and
flies out of range of the sector he was talking to. All radios work
fine yet he is NORDO. We try and get him on 121.5. Eventually we do
but it might be 100 miles.

One of the weirdest calls I've gotten was one day a while back I was
talking to New York doing practice approaches. "Traffic is a 757, not
under my control, nobody's talking to him". I never found out what
happened, but I can only guess a handoff got botched. The controller
didn't seem overly concerned.
Old September 29th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:19:52 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

One of the weirdest calls I've gotten was one day a while back I was
talking to New York doing practice approaches. "Traffic is a 757, not
under my control, nobody's talking to him". I never found out what
happened, but I can only guess a handoff got botched. The controller
didn't seem overly concerned.

That's a topper in my book. G
Old September 29th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Whiting

Roy Smith wrote:
In article ,
Newps wrote:

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
Dave Butler writes:

[...]

No reason for the controller to be concerned. He's on the ground in a
nice, cozy, dark room with a mug of coffee! :-)

Matt
Old September 29th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Frank Ch. Eigler

Newps writes:

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
Dave Butler writes:
When you go NORDO ATC is going to clear everyone else out of your
way. Just get on the ground and relieve ATC of their misery.

Sounds plausible for a bugsmasher, maybe. But, imagine how ATC (and
NORAD for that matter) might respond to a bigger plane that goes NORDO
and instead of following the proper procedures, starts improvising.

Happens many times everyday. Some airliner misses his radio call [...]
Eventually we [get him] but it might be 100 miles.

But isn't that airliner still following procedures - maintaining the
cleared track & altitude? A sudden dive and a turn ("improvising")
better arouse concern.

- FChE