A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

SLA batteries opinions?

Old April 4th 18, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default SLA batteries opinions?

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 8:24:03 PM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
Yeah Herb - WTF? (Tony paid me to post this)

Lou

Flying downwind is for hang and para-gliders. We haven't done that in contests since the early 70's. But I do enjoy looking at Tony's excellent adventures now and then. Take note: if you disagree with me, that's fine. Just exercising my right to an opinion, that's all.
Old April 4th 18, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 10:47:02 PM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
tiistai 3. huhtikuuta 2018 2.16.45 UTC+3 kirjoitti:
The theoretical number of times the batteries of each type can be cycled is irrelevant if they will die of old age in a number of years, even if that's 10+ years for LiFePO4 and only 3-4 years for SLA in my use.

In my experience lifetime of LFP is not better than SLA. My first battery died completely in 6 months, second had much reduced capacity after 2 seasons. Idea that chinese LFPs last thousand cycles or decade is just false.

In my experience LFP batteries are much better than SLA and deliver close to the label AH for many cycles. And if you drop them on your foot is does not hurt as bad.

Richard

Richard
Old April 4th 18, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have flown with both an LFP and SLA battery in my ship for 5 years. I alternate which one is primary and which one is secondary on each flight. A PowerSonic 12V14Ah SLA vs Powerizer 12V15Ah LFP. With all my instruments running the SLA voltage drops below the minimum requirements of my radio by 5 hours. My LFP has never failed to power everything up to a 7 hour flight.. The SLA gets replaced after 3 years. My LFP is six years old and still working perfectly.

When I fly in very cold conditions (0C) the SLA is usually not driving my radio by three hours. Again, the LFP has run up to six hours without any significant voltage drop.

Old April 4th 18, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]
external usenet poster

Would you use any of the lithium batteries for initial hi current demand tasks such as electric pylon deployment and self-starter motors?
Old April 4th 18, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 11:05:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have flown with both an LFP and SLA battery in my ship for 5 years. I alternate which one is primary and which one is secondary on each flight. A PowerSonic 12V14Ah SLA vs Powerizer 12V15Ah LFP. With all my instruments running the SLA voltage drops below the minimum requirements of my radio by 5 hours. My LFP has never failed to power everything up to a 7 hour flight. The SLA gets replaced after 3 years. My LFP is six years old and still working perfectly.

When I fly in very cold conditions (0C) the SLA is usually not driving my radio by three hours. Again, the LFP has run up to six hours without any significant voltage drop.

My microair 760 likes the higher voltage of the LiFePo, and I needed two 12V9Ah SLAs for long flights; never had to switch to back-up with LiFePo. I also like the faster charge, and the way the new batteries maintain charge.
Old April 4th 18, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 10:12:41 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 10:47:02 PM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
tiistai 3. huhtikuuta 2018 2.16.45 UTC+3 kirjoitti:
The theoretical number of times the batteries of each type can be cycled is irrelevant if they will die of old age in a number of years, even if that's 10+ years for LiFePO4 and only 3-4 years for SLA in my use.

In my experience lifetime of LFP is not better than SLA. My first battery died completely in 6 months, second had much reduced capacity after 2 seasons. Idea that chinese LFPs last thousand cycles or decade is just false.

In my experience LFP batteries are much better than SLA and deliver close to the label AH for many cycles. And if you drop them on your foot is does not hurt as bad.

Richard

Richard

What if we want to drop it on Herb's foot?
Chris
Old April 4th 18, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

As seen on a late night TV talk show: The top reasons for using SLA/AGM batteries in gliders.
.. As tail ballast.
.. To maintain the "cheap" glider pilot stereotype.
.. Wir haben es immer so gemacht.
Jim
Old April 4th 18, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

I have to ask, then:Â* Why keep putting SLA batteries in your glider?Â* Do
you need them for weight and balance?Â* Why not just two LiFePO4?

My experience with the lithium batteries was nothing short of terrific.Â*
Prior to the switch, I couldn't power everything with two SLA batteries
for 5 hours (15 AH combined).Â* After switching (10 AH LFP), I never had
a shortage of power.

On 4/3/2018 9:05 PM, wrote:
I have flown with both an LFP and SLA battery in my ship for 5 years. I alternate which one is primary and which one is secondary on each flight. A PowerSonic 12V14Ah SLA vs Powerizer 12V15Ah LFP. With all my instruments running the SLA voltage drops below the minimum requirements of my radio by 5 hours. My LFP has never failed to power everything up to a 7 hour flight. The SLA gets replaced after 3 years. My LFP is six years old and still working perfectly.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 4th 18, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 8:16:30 PM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
Would you use any of the lithium batteries for initial hi current demand tasks such as electric pylon deployment and self-starter motors?

I would (and do) use a properly spec'd LFP for that purpose. However saying so will start an epic chit fight on this thread like the other ones. So it would be best to live in the past and use whatever your copyright 1995 flight manual says to use. Don't do so unless you are familiar with all the issues and able to make a proper engineering call.
Old April 4th 18, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 1:14:19 PM UTC-4, john firth wrote:
Recently I tested two 12v SLA s which had been in use
sequentially for some years usually recharged before going
going flat, or at least within one day.
Both were run down to 10.5 v with a 10 ohm load and then recharged to 14v,

The Yuasa 7 AH bought 2005 was good for about 2.5 AH
the UB 1280 8AH 6 years old good for 2AH.
On this showing the Yuasa look like the better battery.
Both were used as panel supplies running at .5 A load.

Any opinions on competing SLA batteries?

John

The specs on the Dakota 12v 10 ah ($99) bats look good
Any experiences?

JMF