Spinning a Pegase

Old April 8th 18, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Magnetar

Default Spinning a Pegase

Hi,

I have quite a few hours on the Pegase and I have tried spins on this airplane. Of course, one should always follow the indications of the manual.
That being said, I believe it is important to know how your airplane will behave in certain situations, especially if you are signed off on a new type of glider.

On my first flight on the Pegase, I took it to cloud base (close to) and then started doing some tests to evaluate how it was responding to 45 degrees bank, 60 degrees bank and more. I also did a few stalls, with and without spoilers. After feeling confident in the behavior and recovery, I climbed up and tried a gentle spin (1 turn).
The one thing i noticed was the sharp drop of the inner wing which was immediately followed by gentle rotation. I only had to release the stick and exited the spin very quickly. The speed built up to 200kph but was still within the limits. I would say that like any glass ship this is the most critical aspect of spin recovery, just watch the speed, pull back gently and recover.
It is possible that depending on your CG you might have to use rudder but that's common practice anyway.
I once was in a very rough thermal with lots of gusts and no clearly defined core, my inner wing dropped but I managed to easily get it back with some rudder and speed. I believe this was more due to my slow/banked attitude at that time than anything else.

The Pegase is a great sailplane with no vicious behavior: it will always warn you (buffeting for instance) before stalling or spinning. Spin is gentle as well with no hidden/unintentional behavior so I won't see an issue to test this maneuver, just make sure you have enough altitude, a cleared airspace around AND below and announce over the radio.

Magnetar
Old April 10th 18, 09:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

During JAR22 type certification, the Pegase was only certified in the "utility" category. Similar to the LS gliders, any kind of aerobatics like intentional spinning has not been part of the type certification process.

That does not necessarily mean that it has bad habits while spinning - it was simply not included in type certification. Hence intentional spinning is prohibited per the flight manual.

However, the type certification rules do contain requirements on spin recovery behaviour for the case of unintentional spins. These have to be proven during certification and the flight manual needs to include information on spin recovery.
Old April 10th 18, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

If the POH says spins are prohibited, what is compelling you to want to expand the flight envelope. Have a lot of flight test experience? Have experience designing a flight test program? Asking on RAS for advice on spinning a glider that the manufacturer POH says is prohibited? No one has said it so I will
say it, What's wrong with you? And I say that with all due respect. When a glider goes vertical or beyond it can get to VNE fast. Spins can also turn into a spiral dive while you are applying anti-spin inputs. The POH on my ASH-26e prohibited spins so I never felt compelled to test fate. My Nimbus 4 I did not spin but I did do a full set of turning stalls and one accidental quarter turn spin. recovery from insipient spin is what is important. Watch below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsbW0e-kN50

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 2:06:37 AM UTC-7, Dan S wrote:
My Pegase 101's flight manual states that aerobatic maneuvers including intentional spins are prohibited.

I'm keen to test the behaviour of the glider in a spin and also the spin recovery procedure.

Is the Pegase really unsuitable for intentional spins, will the wings fall off?

Old April 10th 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 08:42:09 -0700, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

If the POH says spins are prohibited, what is compelling you to want to
expand the flight envelope. Have a lot of flight test experience? Have
experience designing a flight test program? Asking on RAS for advice on
spinning a glider that the manufacturer POH says is prohibited? No one
has said it so I will
say it, What's wrong with you? And I say that with all due respect.
When a glider goes vertical or beyond it can get to VNE fast. Spins
can also turn into a spiral dive while you are applying anti-spin
inputs. The POH on my ASH-26e prohibited spins so I never felt
compelled to test fate. My Nimbus 4 I did not spin but I did do a full
set of turning stalls and one accidental quarter turn spin. recovery
from insipient spin is what is important. Watch below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsbW0e-kN50

I've spun that particular Junior several times, as well as getting all
three Silver Badge legs in it. Silver height and duration before I got
Bronze, and Silver distance immediately after getting the Bronze XC
endorsement.

The one thing I'd say is: be sure to read the POH before you spin a
Junior because it has three different spin modes depending on pilot
weight, and you really need to know which mode to expect.

I'm a lightweight: in my weight category a Junior self-recovers after 2.5
turns, even if the controls are still crossed. Thats' described in the
manual. They're fairly draggy and (as you could hear) the cockpit gets
quite loud above 80 kts or so (VNE is 118 kts), so if you're paying
attention you're unlikely to get near VNE during spin recovery.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Puchacz spinning Don Johnstone[_4_] Soaring 2 July 15th 14 11:08 PM
pegase 101d Eddy Van Roon Soaring 0 May 13th 05 08:07 PM
Spinning (mis)concepts Arnold Pieper Soaring 106 February 7th 04 02:02 PM
Spinning the SZD 50-3 Tim Shea Soaring 31 February 2nd 04 02:46 PM
Spinning Horizon Mike Adams Owning 8 December 26th 03 02:35 AM