Collins Radio

Old February 19th 04, 01:50 AM
Jay Smith

Alan Bloom wrote:
Have a Collins Nav/Com in my Skylane along with a King 155. Although
it doesn't have the "flip-flop" freg, the Collins radio works fine but
I really like a NAV feature not found on the King. You can switch it
to show a digital read-out of the "TO" or "FROM" radial. Very
convenient tracking complement to the OBS.

I believe the KX155 does that also. I haven't read the manual for
several months, but I thought I saw it in there.

Old February 19th 04, 04:22 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Jay Smith wrote:
: Alan Bloom wrote:
: Have a Collins Nav/Com in my Skylane along with a King 155. Although
: it doesn't have the "flip-flop" freg, the Collins radio works fine but
: I really like a NAV feature not found on the King. You can switch it
: to show a digital read-out of the "TO" or "FROM" radial. Very
: convenient tracking complement to the OBS.

: I believe the KX155 does that also. I haven't read the manual for
: several months, but I thought I saw it in there.

You're thinking of the KX-165 (one-sixty-five). Pull out the nav freq
inner knob, and it shows the radial you're on. Do this on a KX-155 and it
shows "---".
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)
Old February 19th 04, 02:29 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jay Smith" wrote in message ...

I believe the KX155 does that also. I haven't read the manual for
several months, but I thought I saw it in there.

The original KX155's don't. The KX165 (essentially the same radio
but works with resolvers for HSI's), does. The new KX155A's probably
do as well.

There's an after market mod for the older KX155 to add this feature.

Old February 19th 04, 04:43 PM

:
: The original KX155's don't. The KX165 (essentially the same radio
: but works with resolvers for HSI's), does. The new KX155A's probably
: do as well.

Actually, the KX-165 has an internal converter that the KX-155 does not.
That's why it actually knows what radial you're on. It'll work with the same head as
a KNS-80 (KI-206 or KNI-520, etc) that doesn't have an internal converter. That's one
thing I've never understood... most indicator heads (203/204/208/209) have an internal
converter (read: more parts) but cost less than the simpler heads (206) that just have
needle movements. The 'NAV' on most nav radios are simply RF demodulators. The
L/R/T/F/OBS is all done within the head.

: There's an after market mod for the older KX155 to add this feature.

Nifty... Question is does it use the same PCB as the 165 and can thus have an
internal converter added?

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old February 19th 04, 05:07 PM
Ron Natalie

wrote in message ...

I looked it up and yes, the 155A does have the VOR radial display (I thought it did).

: There's an after market mod for the older KX155 to add this feature.

Nifty... Question is does it use the same PCB as the 165 and can thus have an
internal converter added?

I believe it's just a wart on the 155 board. I can't seem to dig up the thing on the web,
but they used to advertise quite regularly in TAP.