Going back into flying the glider way

Old April 25th 19, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Going back into flying the glider way

On Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 11:39:38 AM UTC-6, Paul Agnew wrote:
FAA Advisory Circular for Wings Program

https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/...c%2061-91j.pdf

PA

Do register as there are a couple of SSA webinars coming up that are eligible for Wings credit. May 7 and May 21. You have to attend live to get credit. Archives are here https://www.ssa.org/Webinars.

Frank Whiteley
Old April 26th 19, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967

I’ll take a week of work to get my glider rating at a good school
I read the reviews on google maps of the gliderport in central Florida ... a bit disappointing
Old May 9th 19, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967

I'm a bit disappointed that only the pensacola glider club answered to my emails about attempting to get my glider rating in a week of concentrated study/flying.

the clubs in jacksonville and seminole glideport must be too busy to want new pilots
Old May 10th 19, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 6:27:14 PM UTC-4, ripacheco1967 wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed that only the pensacola glider club answered to my emails about attempting to get my glider rating in a week of concentrated study/flying.

the clubs in jacksonville and seminole glideport must be too busy to want new pilots

Soaring operations(including some of the commercial ones) operate on a different wavelength than your typical airplane pilot mills. Takes more effort on your side. If you don't have the moxie to chase down the rating you probably aren't going to survive all the futzing about in soaring.

Old May 10th 19, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 10:18:04 PM UTC-4, ripacheco1967 wrote:
Bit surprised that the "small operation" in pensacola has been way more responsible that the "bigger outfits"

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 8:15:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 6:27:14 PM UTC-4, ripacheco1967 wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed that only the pensacola glider club answered to my emails about attempting to get my glider rating in a week of concentrated study/flying.

the clubs in jacksonville and seminole glideport must be too busy to want new pilots

Clubs aren't great about answering emails very quickly.

Not defending anyone, but Seminole Lake is a full-time commercial operation.. Pick up the phone and call them. Citrus Soaring is still operating in Pierson (near Daytona) for now. They are going to close up soon when Franklin Burbank (DPE) moves to Bermuda High Soaring in SC, but can probably accommodate your plans if you call them. (Franklin did my commercial add-on training.)

Most clubs only operate on weekends and are not in the business of banging out fast ratings. Your best bet for that is find a commercial operation or join the closest club and get the rating over a couple of weekends as you get involved with club activities.

Good luck!

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL

Old May 10th 19, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Even at "Commercial" Soaring operations, the help is essentially volunteer. At a club, those guys helping you get your rating are probably dipping into their own pockets to be there helping you. One instructor / tow pilot I know well drives about 200 miles a day to instruct or tow for free. Soaring develops that sort of dedication (think about that).

As an experienced pilot, a glider rating is an easy add on. Then you can spend as much of the rest of your life learning about soaring as you want, or can afford. The subject matter exceeds the learning capacity of one human lifetime (think about that, too).

The upside here is pretty big, but glider flying necessarily involves a lot of moving parts, it's a community effort.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8

Old May 10th 19, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

If you don't mind traveling, come to sunny New Mexico (it's snowing
today but that will end).Â* Give Sundance Aviation (505-832-2222) a
call.Â* They have a nice website but are mostly too busy to reply to
emails.Â* If you leave a phone message they will get back to you. The
owner is also a DPE.

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 10th 19, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 12:39:38 PM UTC-4, ripacheco1967 wrote:
I have a couple thousand hours flying GA single engine. I have owned two aircraft in the past. (Piper Warrior & Saratoga)
Haven't flown for almost 10-years.
Decided to go back into flying but only gliders.
Will join local club to get my license upgraded to include a glider rating.
Then will be the agonizing over what glider to buy ...
nice problem to have huh?

Welcome back to the world of aviation. This is Rich Owen from Seminole-Lake Gliderport. We normally do not find prospective pilots looking for glider ratings on Rec Aviation Soaring. However, Son_of_Flubber said it best. If you come down to our operation we will get you back in the saddle really quick. The three clubs you have highlighted are great operations and could provide you excellent instruction. As a commercial operation we have the ability to complete you faster and with less hassle. We can also help you narrow down the type of glider for you to purchase based on your soaring goals. Call our office Tuesday thru Sunday from 9am to 5pm to schedule your training or speak with one of our instructors. I'm at a family wedding out of town but will be back in the office Tuesday. You can email me at . Hope to see you soon. Best Regards, Rich