Article about John Cochrane

Old December 30th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Article about John Cochrane

On Dec 29, 5:52*pm, wrote:
On Dec 29, 10:35*am, wrote:

On Dec 28, 9:38*pm, MickiMinner wrote:

John will probably be the first nobel prize winner that I have ever
met.

The odds of a free market economist winning the Nobel prize are about
zero, at least these days. *To be in the running, you need to be a
shill for government power, planned economies, Keynesianism and
monetary inflation. *Kinda like Paul Krugman, in fact :-|.

-T8

I kinda like Krugman too.

I'm more of a Murray Rothbard kinda guy, myself.

-T8
Old December 30th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 29, 9:40*am, wrote:
On Dec 28, 9:40*am, HoUdino wrote:

It might be interesting to compare the ideas imbeded in the Black-
Scholes model with our current thermal prediction models. *I wonder if
John would comment if there is something worth persuing?

LT

Thanks for the plugs guys. We were all disappointed with the Bloomberg
article, but I guess everyone thinks they're a lot clearer and more
eloquent than what the reporter writes.

I haven't found a use for Black-Scholes in glider flying yet, but my
MacCready theory articles are straight translations from the classic
"optimal portfolio" theory. An investor goes through life with
occasional opportunities (thermals) of varying promise (strength) but
a constraint that wealth (altitude) must never be negative. As you can
see, if you just change the letters you've got the same problem.

John
BB

Nice one John.

Seems we went through a patch of nasty sink - and are now scratching
around in zero-up hoping it develops into something that will gain us
some altitude (wealth) before the sun gets too low and we have to
start final glide (retirement) from whatever altitude we have. Oh,
yeah and CBs all around us.

If cruise speed were Beta you could optimize between cross-country
speed and the risk of landing out.

;-)

9B
Old December 30th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

wrote:
On Dec 29, 9:40 am, wrote:
[...]

Prospects of outlandings are increasing. Make sure you pick good fields
along the way.

Our own BB (John Cochrane) on NPR DRN Soaring 5 October 3rd 08 09:42 PM
GPS article hiruma222 Piloting 0 August 23rd 07 01:42 AM
GPS article hiruma222 Instrument Flight Rules 0 August 23rd 07 01:42 AM
GPS article hiruma222 Instrument Flight Rules 0 August 23rd 07 01:42 AM
ATTN: John Meyer, others interested in points John made about my photos Just Plane Noise[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 July 29th 07 01:27 AM