2005 1-26 contest

Old August 24th 05, 01:07 PM
norm

Default 2005 1-26 contest

Members of the 1-26 Association......

In many sports and contests among people rules are made and they are
followed. We see controversy every day among athletes. Awards are
earned and they are presented. We have a championship each year among
the 1-26 pilots and it is a fun, spirited contest but it is also taken
very seriously. Pilots think about it and plan for it all winter. This
year we had one of the most outstanding contest in recent memory, both
in organization, good times and just pure all out extreme 1-26 flying.
Many pilots had their personal best flights at this contest. The
thermals were booming and the tasks were long. Two pilots battled it
out until the last day. Stephen Michlalik and Kevin Ford were neck and
neck to the last final glide. At the awards ceremony Stephen was
presented with First Place and Kevin with Second.

Several weeks after the contest I received a note from Tom Pressley the
contest scorekeeper. He was shocked and very upset that he discovered
he had incorrectly scored the last day of the contest. Tom is the best
but with over 50 days of scoring 1-26 contests in the past years an
error was bound to happen.This contest was so close that this error
cause a scoring placement that reversed the First and Second place
finishers on paper. For two weeks now I have been consulting the rules
committee and several past presidents of the Association. The opinions
and views were different. Finally I decided to call Stephen tonight and
tell him about the problem before he found out via rumor and I told him
that he was the Champion and that he walked away from the contest as
the Champion. I had no desire or authority to change the final outcome.

Shortly later this evening Stephen informed me that he wanted to
Present the 2005 1-26 Championship to Kevin Ford. His statement was
"Let's make it right". I am honored to fly with pilots such as men like
Stephen Michalik. This is the ultimate in sportsmanship and true
recognition of the purity of soaring. Both Stephen and Kevin are top
pilots among the soaring community and this example of the brotherhood
will be discussed for many years in soaring lore. Stephen is a true
Champion. Congratulations to both pilots for their spirited completion
and outstanding flights.

Norm Miller
1-26 Assoc President