Staying safe in wave

Old December 30th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Default Staying safe in wave

Fred LaSor of "SoaringNV" at Minden, wrote a short piece on wave flying
that's worth the read.

http://www.pacificsoaring.org/articl...r-12-2008.html

Fred refers to the mnemonic PRICE (I had to ask him what the I-C-E part was.
That's Pressure, Regulator, Indicator, Connections, Emergency plan).

Though neither are required, I think it's good to use a pulse oxymeter to
monitor O2 saturation. Also to have some instrument training and a solid
state or mechanical gyro just in case of inadvertent IMC. Do not rely on a
GPS "virtual" instrument display to keep you upright! In strong winds, when
your ground track can any direction relative to the glider nose, the GPS may
not give you useful "gyro" info.

bumper
zz
Minden