Oshkosh: which day?

Old July 20th 04, 01:58 PM
Nathan Young

Default Oshkosh: which day?

I am trying to pick a day to visit Oshkosh. My plan is to fly up in
the morning and return that evening.

I've been to Oshkosh many times but never flown in. I have read the
NOTAMs and understand the arrival procedures, but need some help with
logistics questions.

I understand the field is closed at 8pm. How early should I head back
to the plane to make sure I get out by 8pm? I assume 8pm is a 'hard
stop'. Ie last aircraft departs at 7:59:59.

How long is the wait for VFR departures? If the weather is bad, how
long is the wait for IFR departures?

Since I am in/out for the day, should I still request 'GAP' parking?
Or is there a 'transient' parking area?

What day is best for this type of in/out flight. I'm thinking Sat/Sun
are bad choices due to the increased traffic. I am mostly interested
in looking at the static GA, homebuilts, and warbirds, plus a few
vendor tents. Not really interested in the airshow portion.

Thanks,
Nathan

Old July 20th 04, 02:10 PM
Jay Honeck

Midweek would be your best bet -- Wednesday or Thursday.

Of course, if the weather is bad Sunday, Monday or Tuesday, the "high
traffic" days just get pushed back commensurately, so it's all sort of a
crap shoot.

I think "GAP" parking is all that's available for spam cans, unless you can
talk your way over to Basler's somehow. I always assumed you had to "know"
someone in order to park on the ramp over there, but I could be wrong.

If you make it in Wednesday, stop by our site in the North 40 for the
rec.aviation party!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Owning 86 August 14th 03 04:29 PM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Piloting 62 August 14th 03 04:29 PM
CQ Oshkosh, CQ Oshkosh Warren & Nancy Home Built 4 July 3rd 03 06:42 PM
CQ Oshkosh, CQ Oshkosh Warren & Nancy Piloting 4 July 3rd 03 06:42 PM