Aviation Story

Old January 25th 04, 05:48 AM
andy asberry

How to get the attention of a Border Patrol agent gassing his Cub in
Marfa, TX, late afternoon:

Lay several foil wrapped packages on the apron; begin stuffing them
into Baggies; then into a trash bag; then rolled up in an almost
deflated air mattress which is crammed into a metal Coleman ice chest.
Then use a roll of duct tape to secure the whole affair. Hurriedly
pitch it in a 172.

T-bones and baked potatoes will survive bouncing through the brush and
cactus to appreciative Rio Grande canoe paddlers.

The lid on that thing still doesn't close right.

Old January 25th 04, 08:18 AM
Dude

Hasn't anyone ever eluded the instructors and simply run off? I have always
wondered about this. Some where, some how, somebody would have to play the
game, and just leave the course. Wouldn't they?

" jls" wrote in message
.. .
A friend from Texas who worked for the railroad and liked to fly his
supercub along the tracks decided to have a little fun one night. He

flew
just off the ground down the tracks and just before he got in sight of a
freight train roaring down the tracks, he turned on his landing light and
proceeded head-on at full speed, headlight to headlight. A hundred yards
or so before the inevitable collision he pulled up and climbed away,

behind
the peppy O-235. But by that time the horrified engineer had locked down
the brakes on the train. You should not be bothered with the details,
which were quite messy.

The next day he awoke to find headlines in the local newspaper, "Train
Almost Collides with UFO; Cars Derailed."

Statute of limitations has run, he says, and, "Don't you be gettin' no
ideas."

Old January 26th 04, 02:04 PM
Corky Scott

When I was in college I had a friend who's father, he told me, was in
the Army. He said his father had this tape of an incident that
occured at an airbase where there was an infamously nasty instructor.
The instructor apparently delighted in washing out cadets and
humiliating them. It got so bad that the rest of the instructors got
together and planned to teach him a lesson.

They told the cadets to duck out of the way when it was time to board
their trainers and the instructors would get in instead.

This particular flight was supposed to be formation training, so once
they took off, everyone was close at hand in formation.

My friend brought the tape to college to play for me because I
expressed great interest. What I heard next simply cannot be faked.

I heard routine but extremely sarcastic orders and remarks from the
instructor, then the instructor/cadets broke formation and went crazy
around this guy.

They, among other things, boxed him in left, right, vertically and
underneath, with the guy on top inverted. They broke off and barrel
rolled around him and buzzed the field en mass. The screaming coming
from the instructor has to be heard to be believed. At one point I
distinctly heard him, in this indescribably defeated voice, lamely
demanding for the field to shoot them down, all of them.

Like I said, there doesn't seem any way for this to be faked, there
was the sound of snarling engines in the background and this
instructors sounded absolutely hysterical at times as he vainly
attempted to control the airplanes around him.

This probably occured after WWII, perhaps some time in the 50's.

It would be neat to hear that tape again.

Corky Scott

Old January 26th 04, 03:45 PM
BllFs6

instructors sounded absolutely hysterical at times as he vainly
attempted to control the airplanes around him.

This probably occured after WWII, perhaps some time in the 50's.

It would be neat to hear that tape again.

Corky Scott

Ahhhh nothing sooths my heart as much as seeing a royal a***hole get what he
deserves

take care

Blll
Old January 26th 04, 05:05 PM
Badwater Bill

On 26 Jan 2004 15:45:04 GMT, (BllFs6) wrote:

instructors sounded absolutely hysterical at times as he vainly
attempted to control the airplanes around him.

This probably occured after WWII, perhaps some time in the 50's.

It would be neat to hear that tape again.

Corky Scott

Ahhhh nothing sooths my heart as much as seeing a royal a***hole get what he
deserves

take care

Blll

Yep. Many rotten assholes came home from Viet Nam in boxes, fragged
by their own men for being jerks.

I went to school with a kid who was nuts. This kid would mouth off to
the biggest guy on the playground and get his butt kicked. The kid
enjoyed it for some sick reason. One day while we were in the 4th
grade, this big kid beat him up so bad, his ears were bleeding from
their ear-canals. He mouthed off to the big kid again the next day
and the sequence went on. This guy killed cats and baby dogs. He was
just sick. One time at a halloween party we were dunking for apples.
After he finished, he snagged in the tub of floating apples so
everyone else had to dunk in his spit.

Later in life he finished college and went into the Army as a second
louie (1971). They shipped his ass off to Viet Nam in a month. One
month later he came home dead and he hadn't even been in a combat
zone. Somehow he fell out of a Huey on recon. Interesting eh?

This was the type of guy who'd love to be a cop so he could abuse
people. He was someone who you would never want to give a badge. I
suspect he had men under him at the time who hated him. If they
hadn't unhooked his umbilical cord (tether), they'd have fragged him
in his hooch one night while in-country. A lot more of that went on
than people might think. The assholes were taken out of the gene pool
real quick in-country.

Whomever pushed him did the world and his family a favor. He'd been
nothing but a problem for them his entire life. At 21 years old he
was history. Hell, they gave the family some metals, buried him under
an American flag that they folded up and gave to his mom. What more
could anyone want?

People (soldiers) were ****ed off over there because they didn't like
being there in a war against a people they didn't really hate. It
wasn't like Iraq where there was a clear mission to rid the world of a
tyrant who tortured people to death and killed his own people in mass.
The mission in Viet Nam wasn't clear to the average foot soldier (or
officer for that matter). So they were walking around sort of ****ed
off all the time because they were watching people get killed and they
were in danger themselves. This level of anxiety made for a situation
where people really didn't take much **** from anyone, officers or
other enlisted. If you got a new second louie with an attitude, he
either changed real quick or was removed from the gene pool, fragged
in some "event."

"Oh yes captain, we were all just sitting here in the jungle having a
smoke when an mortar came in from the gooks up on that ridge. Poor
old Jimmy here was at ground zero. What a shame!"

"Son, you are missing one of your grenades."

"Oh yes Sir, I lobbed it up at the gooks, but they got away. Damn,
Jimmy didn't have real good luck did he Sir?"

or, in this kid's case, maybe it went like this:

Warrant Officer-1 says to Captain:

"Yes Sir, we were on recon and going into this LZ for fuel. It wasn't
expected to be hot but it was. I dusted off. I cranked the Huey 90
degrees right to avoid fire while the grunts at the LZ took care of
Charlie. Jimmy must have been on the skid and not tied down. He
liked to ride like that Sir, out on the skid and not hooked in. He'd
take that M-60 out there with him sometimes and just shoot up the
natives. He said it made him feel like God Sir. I ordered him to hook
in when I caught him a few times but I see he didn't this time. We
did recover the M-60 when we nabbed him Sir, it wasn't a total loss.
And the gooks? Well, they just disappeared as fast as they were
there. Don't know where they came from Sir. The LZ has never been
hot like that before."

Captain: "Damn. Now I gotta write his parents a letter and I hate to
write. I'd rather be selling these rations to the villagers this
afternoon to strengthen up our booze fund. You remember we got a
party this weekend don't you? Will you guys be more careful from now
on? Ought to make you write the letter, Mr. WO-1. Now get out a here
before I article-15 your sorry ass."

WO-1, "Yeeaasssir! Will-do."

BWB
Old January 27th 04, 05:07 PM
Veeduber

The term "frag" referred to all manners of "assasination" (the official
term).

Actually, it refers to the inappropriate handling of a grenade, as in failing
to tape the spoon and allowing the pin to become entagled in your mosquito bar
so that when you tucked yourself in for the night...

This sort of thing was seldom a problem in the Real World or aboard ship but in
I Corp junior officers with Political Influence (ie, that red 'PI' on the BACK
of their service jacket) were being rotated through on a 90 day basis just so
they could get their ticket punched, spending the remainder of their tour TAD
to someplace else. Their total lack of experience in a combat environment lead
to a lot of needless casualties. And personal accidents.

When politicians are running the war victory is not an option. For a senior
NCO in that situation a successful tour means making sure as many of your
people as possible come home alive. Everything is showtime.

-R.S.Hoover