Attn: Historians -- History of Iowa City Airport, Revision 1.1

Old November 4th 03, 10:52 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Attn: Historians -- History of Iowa City Airport, Revision 1.1

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/the_iowa_city_airport.htm

Added a bunch of pictures (full-sized ones, too), made a bunch of suggested
changes, grammatical and otherwise.

Let me know whatcha think, please? Any other suggestions are welcome, as
always.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 5th 03, 02:48 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Let me know whatcha think, please? Any other suggestions are welcome, as
always.

Much better. The new photos in with the text give a constant flow that wasn't
there before. Now, this is not a criticism, but you can set it up so that a
reader can click on the photos in the text to see a larger copy instead of
having a duplicate thumbnail at the bottom. I wouldn't add much more; it's
starting to load a little slowly on my machine.

George Patterson
If you're not part of the solution, you can make a lot of money prolonging
the problem.
Old November 6th 03, 12:31 AM
Montblack

("G.R. Patterson III" wrote)
snip
I wouldn't add much more; it's starting to load a little slowly on my

machine.

Time for a new machine. :-)

--
Montblack

Old November 6th 03, 01:06 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Montblack wrote:

Time for a new machine. :-)

That has nothing to do with it. I have a cable connection, and things don't
download much faster than that. One of the problems is that Jay doesn't have the
ability to size his photos - he just tells the browser to display them whatever
size he wants. If you download one of his "thumbnails" and display it, it's
full screen. That means you're downloading 800k for a "thumbnail" that would
be about 15k if it were sized appropriately.

The more photos he adds the worse the problem gets.

Old November 6th 03, 03:53 AM
Jay Honeck

One of the problems is that Jay doesn't have the
ability to size his photos - he just tells the browser to display them

whatever
size he wants. If you download one of his "thumbnails" and display it,

it's
full screen. That means you're downloading 800k for a "thumbnail" that

would
be about 15k if it were sized appropriately.

The more photos he adds the worse the problem gets.

Actually, each individual photo and /or thumbnail on this page is between 15
and 50 kb in size -- quite small. There are just a LOT of them! (And
I DO tell them how big to be...)

However, once you click on a thumbnail you DO get a higher quality
version -- although not nearly what I used to give you! Before I caught on
to the fact that not everyone had a cable modem, I would give you 1200 x
1600 sized graphics. (You can still see this on some of the older pages.)

After enough dial-up folks bludgeoned me to death, I finally figure out how
to re-size pix to 800 x 600, or less, and that's what I post now.

Still, loading up this history page should NOT load up all the big
versions -- only the small ones. If it's loading too slowly on your
high-speed connection, I'm stumped.

BTW: Mary and I spent 7 hours poring over old newspaper microfilm this
afternoon/evening. Found LOTS of cool stuff about the early air mail
flights here. Wow -- those flights were HUGE media events here in Iowa
City, back in '23 and '24.

Tomorrow I get to spend some time with our airport manager, going over
ancient documents that he's got in his files. It should be interesting!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 6th 03, 08:19 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

If it's loading too slowly on your high-speed connection, I'm stumped.

No, as I said earlier, it's *starting* to slow down. In my former employ, we
did some research into speed requirements. Up to three seconds is regarded
pretty much as instantaneous response by a user. Twenty seconds is unacceptable,
and anything in that range required either some sort of percentage complete
readout or we put it in background. You're over three seconds but not into the
"is this thing working?" range.