Headset recommendation

Old August 10th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Default Headset recommendation

Morgans wrote:
"Margy Natalie" wrote

We bought one Clarity Aloft, but when they figured out we both fly and
needed different size ear pieces they threw in 5 sets of the small ones
for me and left the original 6 sets for Ron. I like it!

You just bought the Bose X, what, in '04 and now you have already moved on?

You can send me you unused Bose to me, and I will give them a good home!
;-))

Never bought a Bose, sorry. We do have a pair of Lightspeeds, one of
which is now in the back seat.

Margy
Old August 10th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Margy Natalie" wrote

Never bought a Bose, sorry. We do have a pair of Lightspeeds, one of
which is now in the back seat.

Ahh, there I go again, relying on my memory, or lack there of. It was the
Lightspeeds that I remember you, or I guess Ron coming back with, while you
were showing me and a couple of other people your newly finished redone
Navion. Nice.

Everything still doing well on the plane? Any new toys or additions?
--
Jim in NC

Old August 10th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_1_]

Just went through this...

Got a DC X11 and a Bose, compared them "side by each"........

Best TRANSMIT audio, DC

Most comfortable, with glasses..Bose

Most comfortable without glasses, DC

Best ANR, dead heat

Best receive audio, Bose

DC had a problem with the ANR failing if ANY leakage through the Ear
seals while wearing glasses, the Bose less so...

The cell input on the DC, HUGE plus...

Partner kept the DCs, I kept the Bose

My Bose had a COMPLETE microphone failure at about 8 hrs of
operation..
- repalcement parts shipped overnight by Bose...

After 8 months, partner LOVES the DC's

I have some (albeit small) regrets with the Bose.

BOTH work very well...., if DC could fix the (momentary ) ANR failure
when I shake/move my head, I would probably sell the Bose and get the
X11's, but as I wear glasses ALL the time, it was annoying....

YMMV!

Dave

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 18:32:40 -0500, "Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim"
wrote:

I've decided to upgrade my old Telex headset, and have narrowed my choices
to the Bose X or the David Clark X11. Any comments, positive or negative,
about either of these two headsets? Thanks.

Martha

Old August 10th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom L.

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 00:10:50 -0300, Dave

DC had a problem with the ANR failing if ANY leakage through the Ear
seals while wearing glasses, the Bose less so...

Dave

Dave,
Have you tried DC's "Stop Gap, Eyeglass Temple Cushion",
Model Number: 12500G-02
According to DC: "Helps to seal openings that may result from temple
pieces on glasses."

You can find it he
http://www.davidclark.com/HeadsetPgs/accessry.htm

I'm curious if that helps. I've been thinking about X11s and also wear
glasses. Although, after recent postings, I might decide to try
Clarity Aloft instead.

- Tom

Old August 10th 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Dave,

Got a DC X11 and a Bose, compared them "side by each"........

Color. You forgot that...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 10th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

But that is exactly what you are doing with one of the sets. I know I don't
want to get the set you sent back. Who knows where you've been?

What would you suggest?
Old August 10th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

RST Engineering wrote:

I'm not going to get into a ****ing match with you over this.

I'm not looking for one, either, so I deleted the hotel reference.

Remember, the OP said ORDER, not go down to the local shop and

BORROW for a
day. This implies that you are going to have them sent to you and you will
send back one or both if you don't like them. Having run a mail order
business for the last 35 years, I can tell you to the penny how much extra
we charge everybody as overhead for ... crap ... like this.

I know what he wrote. I'm also involved in a retail operation (a large,
industry "Top 100" bicycle shop) and I'll add this:

I think the buyer should pay the return shipping and possibly a small
restock fee. If the competition can do it without a restock fee, you
need to figure out how to do it too, or stop selling that product.
Returned by buyer goods should go back to the manufacturer or distributor.

My favorite online tool vendors, outdoor clothing, etc... all offer
100% satisfaction guarantees. Do you know what it costs to ship a 600
pound table saw or to accept a $500 hand plane as a return ? The large
machinery dealer does a 10% restock fee, the high-end hand tool vendor
does not.

Our bicycle shop has had customers swap $3000 bicycles that no longer
can be sold as new, for another $3000 bicycle, because you can't tell
how it will work for you until you really ride it. How do we deal with
this? By working very diligently to make sure the customer has the
right product to start with. We drop products, and sometimes entire
lines, that get returned often.

Please do not dictate other people's business practices.

I don't wish to. The market does that without me.

I do agree that the manufacturer, if they are interested in the "sample"
market, might dedicate half a dozen of a particular model and agree to
support their dealers in the field with a "try it" headset program. That
beats the hell out of having every dealer in the world being a sample
merchandise source.

It certainly does!

Do you suspect that is why Bose is the most expensive line of headsets on
the market? We all buy parts from the same source(s); it is the overhead
that kills you in something like this.

I clearly understand that, and never believed for a moment that my 30
day trial wasn't built into the price. I also understand that an
expensive product that doesn't cover overhead is not worth selling.

For instance, we don't exactly make a killing on a $4 water bottle, but
people who come in for a bottle usually buy other items or services. If
we lose money on an expensive item, it's gone in a heartbeat. We can't
make up losses in volume. G
Old August 10th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

B A R R Y wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

But that is exactly what you are doing with one of the sets. I know
I don't want to get the set you sent back. Who knows where you've
been?

What would you suggest?

You go someplace that sells the headsets and they will probably have sample
pairs they will let you borrow. If that doesn't work you might ask around at
your airport.

Old August 10th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hawkeye[_2_]

Let me give you my advice...headsets are like shoes, if they aren't
comfortable you probably won't wear them for long. Get a pair that fit
your head and your budget. Every persons head is different as are
headsets. Go for function rather than fashion, it's your hearing on
the line and if you miss a critical radio transmission, it could mean
your life. Headsets only work if you wear them, not tucked into the
pocket behind the seatback or inside a flight bag. Fly safe!

Need 12v Outlet Recommendation Kyle Boatright Home Built 5 July 28th 07 04:42 PM
HSI Recommendation? randall g Owning 6 June 13th 07 09:22 PM
ELT Recommendation Dean Owning 3 April 26th 06 09:08 AM
Headset recommendation (Lightspeed L1 and LightFlight Mach 1) Gerald Sylvester Piloting 0 October 27th 05 06:12 AM
ASW 20 Recommendation? Eric Greenwell Soaring 1 August 11th 03 06:56 AM