RAF C-17 In Minneapolis

Old September 28th 03, 07:08 PM
John A. Weeks III

Default RAF C-17 In Minneapolis

In driving past the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport on Saturday,
I spotted an unusual aircraft in an unusual location. A large
4 engine high-wing cargo plane was parked at the Humphrey
passenger terminal. Since the plane had winglets, it was a
C-17.

The unusual thing was the markings. A large blue dot with a
smaller red dot in the middle, plus a large slanted blue and
red stripe on the tail, and a graphic of a tiger. It turns out
that this was an RAF C-17, one of 4 being leased from Boeing.
I couldn't see the nose, but photos on the net show a Union
Jack on the nose, which would have ID'ed it for me. I never
thought to get the tail number.

Anyone know why a RAF C-17 would stop in Minneapolis? It
could have been a delivery flight. It was also unusual that
it was at the passenger terminal. Most military planes stop
either at the USAF base on the north side of the airport, or
stop at Signature Flight Services.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old September 28th 03, 07:49 PM
Brian

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
Anyone know why a RAF C-17 would stop in Minneapolis? It
could have been a delivery flight. It was also unusual that
it was at the passenger terminal. Most military planes stop
either at the USAF base on the north side of the airport, or
stop at Signature Flight Services.

Would Minneapolis be a shorter flight to London considering a direct flight
closer to the pole? Maybe they are financing the lease with non-stop service
from the US to London Anyone know if the UK Army was training near Minn?

Old September 28th 03, 10:37 PM
Nick Pedley

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
In driving past the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport on Saturday,
I spotted an unusual aircraft in an unusual location.

SNIP
Anyone know why a RAF C-17 would stop in Minneapolis? It
could have been a delivery flight. It was also unusual that
it was at the passenger terminal. Most military planes stop
either at the USAF base on the north side of the airport, or
stop at Signature Flight Services.

-john-

Where do C-17's go for regular services etc?

Nick

Old September 28th 03, 11:06 PM
TJ

[...]

No idea what it was doing there, but it wasn't a Tiger on the tail, but a
Puma. 99 Squadron is the RAF unit that operates them out of Brize Norton.

http://www.mcchordairmuseum.org/images/99_SQ_RAF_B.jpg

http://www.mcchordairmuseum.org/imag...tPhotoID183380.
jpg

TJ

Old September 29th 03, 06:59 AM
Adrian

snip

--

Probably picking up spare parts. Some of these are deeemed too important for
commerical carriers. They also carry military passengers sometimes. My

Adrian Edmonds