Me-262, NOT Bell X-1 Broke SB First

Old September 27th 03, 04:08 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
m...

All of the other speed records set up until that time were in horizontal
flight.

Irrelevan't. We're not talking about setting records, we're talking about
achieving supersonic flight.

We lost more than one fighter from compressibility, and it's quite
possible that one or more made it "through" Mach 1 and back.

No, it's not at all possible.

Old September 27th 03, 04:10 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
m...

I could go with that. But the "achieveing Mach 1 in level flight" part
is still pretty solid. If we include diving to gain speed, though, the
Me-262 isn't even in the running.

The Me 262 isn't in the running regardless of attitude.

Old September 27th 03, 04:18 AM
Mike Marron

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:
"Chad Irby" wrote:

I could go with that. But the "achieveing Mach 1 in level flight" part
is still pretty solid. If we include diving to gain speed, though, the
Me-262 isn't even in the running.

The Me 262 isn't in the running regardless of attitude.

Er um, you misspelled "altitude."

-Mike (Zzzzz) Marron

Old September 27th 03, 04:25 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mike Marron" wrote in message

Er um, you misspelled "altitude."

Nope. "Attitude" is used by pilots to describe the orientation of an
aircraft's axes relative to a reference line, normally the horizon.

Old September 27th 03, 04:37 AM
Mike Marron

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:
"Mike Marron" wrote:

Er um, you misspelled "altitude."

Nope. "Attitude" is used by pilots to describe the orientation of an
aircraft's axes relative to a reference line, normally the horizon.

Since you ain't a pilot, you regurgitated that one by rote, huh?

-Mike Marron

Old September 27th 03, 04:39 AM
Corey C. Jordan

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 17:10:40 GMT, Chad Irby wrote:

In article . net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Chad Irby" wrote in message

When you break a speed record, one of the requirements is that you do it
in *level flight*.

But no such requirement existed for the first supersonic flight.

All of the other speed records set up until that time were in horizontal
flight.

John Derry is recognized as being the first Brit to exceed Mach 1 when
he flew the DH.108 Swallow down in an uncontrolled dive from 45,000
feet. He was able to wrestle back control (unlike Geoffrey de Havilland)
and land that ill mannered beast.

The first is still the first.... Even the USAF had the good sense to stress
the point that Yeager was the first in level flight, obviously surrendering any
outright claim to be first overall.

My regards,

Widewing (C.C. Jordan)
http://www.worldwar2aviation.com
http://www.netaces.org
http://www.hitechcreations.com
Old September 27th 03, 04:39 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mike Marron" wrote in message

Since you ain't a pilot, you regurgitated that one by rote, huh?

I'm more pilot than you can ever hope to be.

Old September 27th 03, 04:44 AM
Mike Marron

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:
"Mike Marron" wrote:

Since you ain't a pilot, you regurgitated that one by rote, huh?

I'm more pilot than you can ever hope to be.

Lemme guess, you're a former air force grease monkey now with
a private pilot's license? [snicker]

-Mike Marron

Old September 27th 03, 06:02 AM
Peter Stickney

In article . net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" writes:

"John Halliwell" wrote in message

One could also argue another requirement, is that the 'aircraft'
achieving it, is self-sufficient and is capable of taking off under its
own power.

Not if one wished to be taken seriously.

In fact, one of the requiremts for the design of the XS-1 was that it
be able to take off from a more or less conventional runway. This was
demonstrated once at Muroc. It was much more productive, however, to
carry the thing up to 30,000'/300mph and save the fuel for
accelerating and climbing. The goal, after all, was to explore the
transonic and supersonic regions, not to set FAI records.

The same goes for the Sabre, too. While F-86s routinely made
supersonic dives, all of the accredited Speed Records set by Sabers
were in level flight, and were in the high subsonic speed
range. (Well, transonic, really, but the airplane was moving on the
slow side of Mach 1)

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old September 27th 03, 06:04 AM
B2431

Actually, all this is should be pretty easy to prove if one has access to
virtual wind tunnels. All one has to do to prove an aircraft can not excede
mach 1 is to do tests on the suspected limiting factor. In the case of the
Me262 a 2 dimensional flow model of the wing or engine inlet should suffice.
Once you have determined a limiting factor it makes no difference if the rest
of the aircraft could have done it.

While such tests are not the same as real tests does anyone have an Me262 they
care to sacrifice?

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

bell xp-77-info? J. Paaso Home Built 0 March 25th 04 12:19 PM
It broke! Need help please! Gerrie Home Built 0 August 11th 03 10:24 PM