Last words

Old December 1st 03, 09:44 PM
- Barnyard BOb -

- Barnyard BOb - wrote:
snip
Yellow has been documented to work well for ground
based vehicles, but.... CONTRAST requirements appear
to be quite different for airborne vehicles backbit by sky.

snip
You probably meant "backlit," but if that was either intentional or a
Freudian slip, it was funny either way.

B.S.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Hmmm.

If fate doesn't kill ya'..
it can sometimes improve things.

It was originally spelled back lit.
Dunno what happened.

Barnyard BOb --
Old December 1st 03, 09:56 PM
Snowbird

- Barnyard BOb - wrote in message . ..

You mean yellow bullets can be seen
when bullets of other colors cannot? g

Now, now, Unk. Your horsie is indeed a speedy
steed -- but faster than a bullet he is not.

There is a yellow and black RV-3 based 100 feet from me.
It's not that easy to pick out when you're looking for it. When you
do, it's the BLACK and the MOTION that catches this searching eye.

YMMV.

What are the details? If there are two major colors the result, when
in motion, is a blend of the two. So from your eye's perspective,
it's possible your neighbor is effectively not yellow in flight. I'm
told our great big 'ol yellow/black checkerboard tail isn't that
visible in flight for just this reason.

There's a nice yellow Monocoupe at our airport and of course
Miss Chiquita nearby. I find the former much easier and quicker
to spot than the typical white-with-colored trim guys. Ditto on
a yellow C150 which was part of the fleet (um, so to speak) where
I learned to fly. I could pick him out of the pattern faster than
the white-with-color-trim rest of the flock. White Katanas are
damn near invisible.

So evidently MMDV, but I've got no fixation on yellow -- it's just
a color my experience spotting airplanes suggests might be highly
visible. If you think you've a better idea, Go For It. And let us
know what it is -- I've started planning a paint job. Not to mention,
from the goodness of my heart, I'll pen a new rhyme Just for You.

I understand your Nephew John who gives nice presents knows
a good painter. Maybe Nephew could give you a paint job for Xmas .

Cheers,
Sydney (currently working on a ditty for Mr. Hyde...)
Old December 2nd 03, 02:58 AM
John Stricker

I saw research some time back that showed the most highly visible color to
be that beautiful fluorescent green kind of thing that some of the emergency
vehicles (fire trucks, etc.) are painted. I'll bet if you painted
Serendipity that color, people would see you coming.

I think you should do it. In fact, come visit, I'll do it.

Really, I'm only thinking of your safety.

Honest.

John "no more sneak attacks from Unk" Stricker

Old December 2nd 03, 04:18 AM
- Barnyard BOb -

I saw research some time back that showed the most highly visible color to
be that beautiful fluorescent green kind of thing that some of the emergency
vehicles (fire trucks, etc.) are painted. I'll bet if you painted
Serendipity that color, people would see you coming.

I think you should do it. In fact, come visit, I'll do it.

Really, I'm only thinking of your safety.

Honest.

John "no more sneak attacks from Unk" Stricker

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hmmmm.

A lovely shade of PUKE GREEN...?

...for my safety?

I'm sure.

Barnyard BOb - safety faster
Old December 2nd 03, 01:04 PM
Model Flyer

"John Stricker" wrote in message
I saw research some time back that showed the most highly visible

color to
be that beautiful fluorescent green kind of thing that some of the

emergency
vehicles (fire trucks, etc.) are painted. I'll bet if you painted
Serendipity that color, people would see you coming.

In the UK the RAF did extensive tests to find the most visable colour
for their trainers, the result was Black. All of their trainers are
now painted black, this has reduced incidents because of poor
visability.
--
---
Cheers,

Old December 3rd 03, 02:17 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:29:08 -0600, - Barnyard BOb -
wrote:

Maybe Santa will surprise me.

Based on your position -- far to the wrong side of the naughty-nice
continuum -- you should be surprised if Santa even shows up at your
home.

He's gotta find coal somewhere....

Ron Wanttaja

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ahem....
Any more of my EX-friends care to pile on???? ;o(

Hey Bob. You can adopt me. I need a parent who can afford to help me
get the Lycombing rebuilt for the G-III.

I'm expensive and have very little ambition. But...I have nice toys.

You'll have to fix the return add due to dumb virus checkers, not spam
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Barnyard BOb --

Old December 3rd 03, 02:20 AM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:18:26 -0600, - Barnyard BOb -
wrote:

I saw research some time back that showed the most highly visible color to
be that beautiful fluorescent green kind of thing that some of the emergency
vehicles (fire trucks, etc.) are painted. I'll bet if you painted
Serendipity that color, people would see you coming.

I think you should do it. In fact, come visit, I'll do it.

Really, I'm only thinking of your safety.

Honest.

John "no more sneak attacks from Unk" Stricker

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hmmmm.

A lovely shade of PUKE GREEN...?

I want one of those paint jobs that's kinda iridescent and the color
depends on the angle between the viewer, plane, and sun. When one
goes by it goes through the whole color spectrum.

Durn paint job would probably cost more than I have invested in the
whole plane.

Old December 3rd 03, 03:26 AM
Eric Miller

"Roger Halstead" wrote

I want one of those paint jobs that's kinda iridescent and the color
depends on the angle between the viewer, plane, and sun. When one
goes by it goes through the whole color spectrum.

Durn paint job would probably cost more than I have invested in the
whole plane.

Dupont Chromalusion paint... $300-700 per quart!

Eric

Old December 3rd 03, 10:55 AM
- Barnyard BOb -

There is a yellow and black RV-3 based 100 feet from me.
It's not that easy to pick out when you're looking for it. When you
do, it's the BLACK and the MOTION that catches this searching eye.

YMMV.

Barnyard BOb --

In the UK the RAF did extensive tests to find the most visable colour
for their trainers, the result was Black. All of their trainers are
now painted black, this has reduced incidents because of poor
visability.
--
---
Cheers,
Jonathan Lowe.

"Cy Galley" retorted without benefit of smiley:

Yes, But the sun seldom shines in the UK since it rains most every day.

Thanks for the levity and jocular response. However...

It was exactly under these conditions right here in
the USA, that I had my nearest near miss in 50 years.

The near miss wasn't a damn bit funny then.
Isn't any funnier now.

Do you have data concerning what color is
more visible than black on a UK rainy day?
If so, source(s) would be appreciated.

Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of successful flight