Widower stabbed Air Traffic Controller?

Old October 27th 05, 03:30 AM
Simon and Sam

Default Widower stabbed Air Traffic Controller?

thats true. it was the mid air collision over lak constance, where the
russian crew disobeyed TCAS and listened to the controller who was working 2
stations at the time, with multiple system outages..
poor bugger.

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
I think I heard on radio news that a man whose wife and child were
killed in a plane crash stabbed the controller who was blamed for the
accident.

Did I hear correctly? Can anyone post details?

Thanks. vince norris

Old October 27th 05, 09:57 AM
Stefan

The accident was the midair of 1 July 2002 near the Swiss/German border.
You'll find the investigation report he
http://www.bfu-web.de/berichte/02_ax001efr.pdf

The man you mentioned has lost his whole family (wife and two children)
in the accident. He searched, found and killed the controller who worked
that night a couple of months later.

The reason why you've heared this now is because the murder trial was
this week.

The tragic thing (besides the accident with many victims, of course) is,
that just about everybody made mistakes, except maybe the controller.
The controller was given a task he just couldn't accomplish. (You'll
find the details in the very detailed report, certainly worth reading.)
Another tragic thing is that probably the man wouldn't have run havoc if
Skyguide (the air control agency involved) would have publicly
apologised to the families. But the managers refused to do so, because
they feared that apologizing would imply liability.

Stefan
Old October 27th 05, 06:44 PM
Brian Whatcott

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:57:16 +0200, Stefan
wrote:

The accident was the midair of 1 July 2002 near the Swiss/German border.
You'll find the investigation report he
http://www.bfu-web.de/berichte/02_ax001efr.pdf

///
Another tragic thing is that probably the man wouldn't have run havoc if
Skyguide (the air control agency involved) would have publicly
apologised to the families. But the managers refused to do so, because
they feared that apologizing would imply liability.

Stefan

Yet another disgraceful result of the baleful influence of lawyers -
"don't apologize." In the US, a comparable habit is for politicians
and elected officials never to resign, when discovered in a disgrace.

The concept of honor is foreign to them by all accounts

Brian Whatcott
Old October 27th 05, 08:48 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Stefan" wrote in message

[...]

The controller hadn't made a mistake? He failed to maintain minimum
required separation between two aircraft for which he had responsibility for
separation. How is that not a mistake?

Old October 27th 05, 10:22 PM
Gord Beaman

"Simon and Sam" wrote:

thats true. it was the mid air collision over lak constance, where the
russian crew disobeyed TCAS and listened to the controller who was working 2
stations at the time, with multiple system outages..
poor bugger.

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
.. .
I think I heard on radio news that a man whose wife and child were
killed in a plane crash stabbed the controller who was blamed for the
accident.

Did I hear correctly? Can anyone post details?

Thanks. vince norris

Most interesting...certainly gives one a good understanding of
TCAS,,,very good reporting also, extensive, exhaustive, equals
any other I've seen. Read one awhile ago about a midair near
Zagreb which, while well done, wasn't nearly as detailed as this
one...thanks...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old October 27th 05, 11:09 PM
Stefan

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

The controller hadn't made a mistake? He failed to maintain minimum
required separation between two aircraft for which he had responsibility for
separation. How is that not a mistake?

Read the report.

Stefan
Old October 27th 05, 11:34 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Stefan" wrote in message

Read the report.

I did. The report indicated the controller erred. You said, "just about
everybody made mistakes, except maybe the controller." Apparently you
didn't read the report.

Old October 27th 05, 11:42 PM
Stefan

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

I did. The report indicated the controller erred. You said, "just about
everybody made mistakes, except maybe the controller." Apparently you
didn't read the report.

If you read an understood the report, you know exactly what I meant. I
won't enter your game.

Stefan
Old October 28th 05, 01:13 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Stefan" wrote in message

If you read an understood the report, you know exactly what I meant. I
won't enter your game.

I read and understood the report. I have no idea what you meant, that's why
I asked.