Ventus 3F - Fatal

Old July 12th 18, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jock Proudfoot

Default Ventus 3F - Fatal

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/new-
mexico/articles/2018-07-11/albuquerque-man-dies-in-glider-crash-
near-moriarty-airport

Old July 12th 18, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

And this - https://www.abqjournal.com/1195405/g...-moriarty.html

RIP Reeny
Old July 12th 18, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 12:45:06 PM UTC-7, Jock Proudfoot wrote:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/new-
mexico/articles/2018-07-11/albuquerque-man-dies-in-glider-crash-
near-moriarty-airport

Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends.

Craig
Old July 12th 18, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I didn't know him.
Sad to lose a pilot.

Condolences to family and friends.
Old July 13th 18, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My wife helped Renny remove his tail dolly and I launched him.Â* Then we
went home and didn't learn of this tragedy until the following day.

Deepest condolences to his family and to his many friends.Â* He will be
missed.

Dan

--
Dan, 5J

Old July 13th 18, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

Rest in Peace Renny

I've go to say these accidents scare the crap out of me.
How can this happen? Renny flew so much he was almost a professional glider pilot. And yet he goes in landing at his home airport.
How can this happen?
Is glider flying really THAT dangerous and unpredictable?
I don't feel that way but accidents like this make me pause and wonder WTF are we doing? and why?
It's suppose to be fun this soaring and this is not fun.
Renny and so many others will be greatly missed....
So Tragic, this accident.

Old July 13th 18, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 01:37 13 July 2018, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Rest in Peace Renny

I've go to say these accidents scare the crap out of me.
How can this happen? Renny flew so much he was almost a

professional glider
pilot. And yet he goes in landing at his home airport.
How can this happen?
Is glider flying really THAT dangerous and unpredictable?
I don't feel that way but accidents like this make me pause and

wonder WTF
are we doing? and why?
It's suppose to be fun this soaring and this is not fun.
Renny and so many others will be greatly missed....
So Tragic, this accident.

We are all getting older. There have been a number of physiological
incapacitation accidents in recent years in our community. Let's
wait for the NTSB to make their findings.

In the mean time, condolences to his family and friends.

RO

Old July 13th 18, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Nick’s thoughts are my thoughts exactly. How do we have so much unexplained accidents? Tragic!
Sure, we can wait 2 years for the NTSB report, which will be completely useless unless the local glider pilots will work together with the NTSB and hope for a good investigator, as was the case recently in California. Meanwhile I hope we can learn something.
It is easy and comforting to blame unexplained accidents on health related incapacitation, but I believe this may be true only in small fraction of accidents.
This had been a sad year so far, and we got very lucky in few accidents which did not end up fatal but could have been easily.

Ramy
Old July 13th 18, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 8:20:58 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Nick’s thoughts are my thoughts exactly. How do we have so much unexplained accidents? Tragic!
Sure, we can wait 2 years for the NTSB report, which will be completely useless unless the local glider pilots will work together with the NTSB and hope for a good investigator, as was the case recently in California. Meanwhile I hope we can learn something.
It is easy and comforting to blame unexplained accidents on health related incapacitation, but I believe this may be true only in small fraction of accidents.

As someone now old enough to see a small but alarming number of younger friends and relatives dropping dead I don't find this comforting at all!

Events that might be quite survivable if they happen in a shopping centre or even on a highway (where you can pull over and stop in less than ten seconds) would be an entirely different matter when flying solo thousands of feet up.