FAR Part 97: Aircraft Approach Categories - IAS vs Ground Speed

Old July 22nd 05, 06:14 PM
Mike Rapoport

That is what I said. read the post.

Mike
MU-2

"Dan Malcolm" wrote in message
Mike,
Actually, niether Vbg nor minimum sink is correct in all circumstances.
Vbg will yield the greatest distance by definition, and minimum sink will
yield the greatest time. Which one is the most beneficial? Gotta look at
the circumstances. There is a good discussion at
http://www.auf.asn.au/emergencies/aircraft.html#vbg
Dan Malcolm

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...
I had a primary instructor who insisted that the best speed to use in the
event of an engine failure was the published best glide speed. I said
that it must depend on the wind and pointed out that if there was a
headwind equal to Vbg that any speed over the Vbg was better. I also
pointed out that with a strong tailwind that the minimium sink speed would
get more distance. He continued to insist that Vbg was the speed to use.
That was our last flight.

We all harbor misconceptions but there is no excuse for being too
stubborn to learn.

Mike
MU-2

On 7/15/2005 11:52, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

No, Actually, he's not (unfortunately).

Well, he had to get the idea they were ground speeds somewhere. The
timing table is pretty much the only possible source.

His reasoning is that the faster we're moving across the ground,
the faster we'll move outside of the protected area, for example,
on the circling maneuver, and that to use the higher minimums
'just made good common sense'.

However, he's interpreting the rule using this 'common sense'
and claiming that this is what the rule implies.

He made it clear to me that he was talking about the approach category
minimums and not just the time from FAF to MAP (which, of course,
is based on ground speed).

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Student
Sacramento, CA

This CFII is stupid. Once you start circling the winds change and will
become a headwind at some point.

Ya know ... I mentioned this to him as well. However, I think he's
stuck on the Ground Speed reported by the GPS during the final
approach as being the speed used to determine the approach category...
That's just not what the FARs say.

Mike
MU-2

Old July 22nd 05, 07:29 PM
Roger

Just look at the NOS charts. Categories are based on IAS. It tells
you that.

When flying to the MAP from the FAF you have the distance given and
can often use GPS, or DME for the distance to the MAP, but you still
have a time to calculate time (or take it off a chart) and that is
based on a distance which has to be based on ground speed.

They come right out and tell you. It doesn't get much more simple than
that.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old July 22nd 05, 08:36 PM
Mark Hansen

On 7/22/2005 11:29, Roger wrote:

Just look at the NOS charts. Categories are based on IAS. It tells
you that.

Where does it say that? I don't see anything on the IAP that says this.
I've looked in the FARs and AIM (see the initial posting of this thread)
and they simply say "speed" and don't specifically state indicated or
ground speed.

When flying to the MAP from the FAF you have the distance given and
can often use GPS, or DME for the distance to the MAP, but you still
have a time to calculate time (or take it off a chart) and that is
based on a distance which has to be based on ground speed.

Note that I'm not talking about the FAF to MAP times (although this
thread has morphed into that discussion by others). Those times must

Old July 22nd 05, 08:48 PM
PilotCFI

I did read the post and if you think that's what you said, then so be
it.
Dan
"Mike Rapoport" wrote in
ink.net:

Old July 22nd 05, 09:10 PM
Mike Rapoport

OK.

I don't see what is ambigous about "it must depend on the wind"

Mike
MU-2
ATP

4...

Old July 24th 05, 03:37 AM
Roger

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:36:15 -0700, Mark Hansen
wrote:

On 7/22/2005 11:29, Roger wrote:

Just look at the NOS charts. Categories are based on IAS. It tells
you that.

Where does it say that? I don't see anything on the IAP that says this.
I've looked in the FARs and AIM (see the initial posting of this thread)
and they simply say "speed" and don't specifically state indicated or
ground speed.

As I said, get out a set of NOS approach charts. It's right there in B
& W.

Actually, it's on page A2. Approach category and the explanation in
reference to Vso

Old July 25th 05, 03:11 AM
PilotCFI

Because wind may not be the only determining factor. Can I name them
all? No. But you should take into account
1. Wind (of course)
2. Where are trying to get to for landing
3. What is the condition of the aircraft and pilot.
4. In addition to wind, what is happening with the weather?
5. There are undoubtedly more.

So is the additional airtime a benefit? Each circumstance will dictate
the appropriate answer. Not just wind.

Dan
CFI/CFII

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in news:cpcEe.6612
:

OK.

I don't see what is ambigous about "it must depend on the wind"

Mike
MU-2
ATP

4...

Old July 26th 05, 04:09 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message ...

Most everything pertaining to instrument procedures is predicated on
fixes,
facilities or waypoints either on the ground or geo-referenced to a
precise
location on the ground. Yet, many (most) of these procedures are
predicated on
indicated airspeed.

The origin of the timing table was not specifically referenced to ground
speed. In fact, the KISS concept in pre-GPS days favored simply applying
IAS
on final, as in managing human factors and keeping the priority tasks at
the
top of the list, so to speak. So, the discussion is not silly at all.

It's your position that is silly. When others stated the speeds in the
timing tables were ground speeds you asked for a reference showing that the
speeds on NACO charts are ground speeds. It has since been demonstrated
that the speeds are ground speeds, yet you still insist they're IAS.
Where's your reference that the speeds on NACO charts are IAS?