Best place to live and fly?

Old May 10th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Best place to live and fly?

OK here, I have lived in North Texas for 30 years, yet I believe the
best BBQ to be in Kansas City, MO. I live there for 5 years and found
some outstanding BBQ places. One was about 30 miles south of the city
and if you were not in line when the opened in the evening it could be a
40 minute wait. There are others.

Ross
KSWI

Grumman-581 wrote:

On Tue, 9 May 2006 22:16:08 -0400, "John Gaquin"
wrote:

You say that above a whisper anywhere near NC and you'd best be locked and
loaded! :-)

I'm from Texas, I'm *always* locked and loaded...

Hell, NC doesn't know BBQ either... In my extensive travels across the
US, I've come to the determination that it is impossible to get *real*
BBQ outside of Texas... Now, some of the area have somewhat tasty
endeavors that the *call* BBQ, but it's not truly BBQ... Believe it or
not, some places even have *mustard* based BBQ sauces... It's not a
north vs south thing either -- Florida doesn't have *real* BBQ
either... They think pork is BBQ... Hell, I went to this one
restaurant south of Miami and their version of BBQ was to cook the
meat in an electric oven and then throw BBQ sauce over it before
serving it... Pure sacrilege...

Old May 10th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
I vote for Iowa City!

This just in:

"'Kiplinger's Personal Finance' ranked Iowa City 10th in its top 50
'Smart Places to Live' list. The rankings are based on cost of living,
homes, crime, health care, climate, environment and education."

Primarily "Affordable Homes".

Albuquerque? Health Care, crime, environment, education...?

I'd stack Montrose up against ANY in that list. I notice many in that 'Top
50' are downright _armpits_! :~(

--
Matt
---------------------

Old May 10th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:
You say that above a whisper anywhere near NC and you'd best be locked
and
loaded! :-)

I'm from Texas, I'm *always* locked and loaded...

Hell, NC doesn't know BBQ either... In my extensive travels across the
US, I've come to the determination that it is impossible to get *real*
BBQ outside of Texas... Now, some of the area have somewhat tasty
endeavors that the *call* BBQ, but it's not truly BBQ... Believe it or
not, some places even have *mustard* based BBQ sauces... It's not a
north vs south thing either -- Florida doesn't have *real* BBQ
either... They think pork is BBQ... Hell, I went to this one
restaurant south of Miami and their version of BBQ was to cook the
meat in an electric oven and then throw BBQ sauce over it before
serving it... Pure sacrilege...

Hopefully, although "locked and loaded", you showed restraint.

Old May 10th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 May 2006 01:22:09 GMT, john smith wrote:
Where do you think the hogs for that BBQ comes from?

Sorry, but BBQ is beef... Beef brisket to be precise... Iowa might
know corn, but they sure as 'ell don't know BBQ...

They don't know chili, either.

Old May 10th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 May 2006 04:33:10 GMT, "soxinbox" wrote:
Florida may be south of the Mason Dixon Line, but it is not part of the
South!!
You can tell by, among other things, the corn bread.

Hmmm... I don't think that I've ever had corn bread while in
Florida... How do they do it over there?

Prob'ly using "Green Giant Niblets"...

Old May 10th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

One word: Tornado.

Tornados are like meteors. They hit so sporadically, and in such
widely scattered areas, that -- after a life time of warnings -- one
doesn't get too worried.

Example: The sirens went off again last night while we were all
watching the movie, during a thunderstorm. A couple of people from out
of town were mildly concerned (understandable, after our recent
experience) but the rest of us "veterans" simply went back to watching
"Memphis Belle"...

Not unlike the reaction of the Californians I was with during my first
earthquake experience...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 10th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message
We just had a couple of tornados last night close to us.

Ross
KSWI (Sherman (TX) Municipal Airport) North of Dallas. (How's this for
identifing?)

snip

Everything ok there? It was a little closer to Denison wasn't it? I noticed
that channel 5 was showing the weather for about 45 mins before I shut the
tv off to go to sleep. They never did show any video though...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0619-0, 05/08/2006
Tested on: 5/10/2006 9:27:50 AM

Old May 10th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 May 2006 01:22:09 GMT, john smith wrote:
Where do you think the hogs for that BBQ comes from?

Sorry, but BBQ is beef... Beef brisket to be precise... Iowa might
know corn, but they sure as 'ell don't know BBQ...

They don't know chili, either.

Oh... here we go...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0619-0, 05/08/2006
Tested on: 5/10/2006 9:29:01 AM

Old May 10th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

When I was a small child of around 6 years old, I used to look through
the atlas. I used to look in wonder at the United States, and try to
figure out how people living in places like Iowa could bear living so
many miles from the sea.

Interesting.

I lived on the shores of Lake Michigan, the "fresh water ocean", all of
my life. The Great Lakes shaped my life, and my experiences, in many
ways, some obvious, some quite subtle. I never thought I'd leave her
shores.

Yet, after 9 years in Iowa, I can honestly say that life AWAY from the
water is better. No more damp weather. No more "lake-effect"
snowstorms that buried us under several feet of snow. No more "cooler
near the lake" forecasts, which could suddenly turn pool parties and
cookouts into frigid affairs -- even in July.

Best of all -- I can fly, ride, and drive EAST now, unimpeded. Living
on the Western shore of a large body of water truly limited our
mobility in ways that we never appreciated, until we moved away from
it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 10th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Example: The sirens went off again last night while we were all
watching the movie, during a thunderstorm. A couple of people from out
of town were mildly concerned (understandable, after our recent
experience) but the rest of us "veterans" simply went back to watching
"Memphis Belle"...

Sort of defeats the purpose of the warning sirens, this New Englander is
thinking.

--
Peter