Famous Polish/Canadian Test Pilot dies!

Old February 11th 04, 10:18 PM
Ken Duffey

Dave Kearton wrote:

"Ken Duffey" wrote in message
| Ed Majden wrote:
| Was it he I read quoted in a magazine many years ago ??
|
| He was test pilot for Glosters - IIRC - and is supposed to have said 'They
| think I know f**k nothing ! - they are wrong - I know f**k all !!!'
|
| It was either him - or some other Polish pilot.
|
| If any none - English-speaking readers need an
| explanation....................

Not quite - the quote was from film Director Ingo Preminger in the '40s as
quoted by David Niven in "Bring on the Empty Horses"

Cheers

Dave Kearton

I know my memory is getting bad - but I didn't think it was that bad !!!

It just shows how memory can play tricks on you.

Thanks for the correction.

Ken

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Old February 11th 04, 10:35 PM
Dave Kearton

"Ken Duffey" wrote in message
| Dave Kearton wrote:
|
| I know my memory is getting bad - but I didn't think it was that bad !!!
|
| It just shows how memory can play tricks on you.
|
| Thanks for the correction.
|
| Ken

No problems Ken

Jan Zurakowski is no different to the rest of us, in that he'll be
remembered differently by his family, his colleagues in the two air forces
he worked with and the hundreds of thousands who saw his airshow
performances.

What a shame, the little video cameras weren't available in the '50s to
record his "falling leaf" and "cartwheel" manouvres in the CF100. Two
routines that haven't been succesfully performed - in a similar sized
aircraft - since.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old February 11th 04, 10:43 PM
Ed Majden

"Dave Keaton et al"

Not quite - the quote was from film Director Ingo Preminger in the '40s

as
quoted by David Niven in "Bring on the Empty Horses"

Cheers

I find it amazing that this thread has turned into a "Hollywood*
discussion!
Please, life does NOT revolve around Hollywood and the movie industry! At
least I hope it doesn't! God help us if it does!
Ed Majden

Old February 11th 04, 10:48 PM
Dave Kearton

"Ed Majden" wrote in message

| "Dave Keaton et al"
|
| Not quite - the quote was from film Director Ingo Preminger in the
'40s
| as
| quoted by David Niven in "Bring on the Empty Horses"
|
| Cheers
|
| I find it amazing that this thread has turned into a "Hollywood*
| discussion!
| Please, life does NOT revolve around Hollywood and the movie industry! At
| least I hope it doesn't! God help us if it does!
| Ed Majden

So Ed, you're taking over the role of thread cop now ?

Does the job come with a badge ?

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old February 12th 04, 12:20 PM
JasiekS

Użytkownik "Oleg Terebov" napisał w wiadomo¶ci
Please make it clear: Jan Zurkowski or Jan Zurakoski

He was born Jan Żurakowski (spelling: Yan ZHurakovski) although he
dropped Polosh letter in his last name after arrival to England. Some
sources call him (incorrect!) Janusz, but these are two different names
in Polish. You can find his biography here
http://www.forces.gc.ca/aete/BioJanusz_e.asp
or here
http://collection.nlc-bnc.ca/100/200...llections/avia
tion/m079.htm
In the first place he was born in Ryzawka, Poland in 1914, in the second
in Ryzawka, Russia. In fact, in 1914 Poland didn't exist.

Jan was younger of two brothers who devoted their lives to aviation. His
older brother, Bronislaw Zurakowski, is still alive. He was working
pre-WWII in RWD design team. Postwar he designed[*] famous STOL aircraft
PZL-104 Wilga and first Polish helicopter BZ-1 GIL.

Regards
JasiekS
Warsaw, Poland
[*] In matter of fact, design of first prototype of PZL-104 was led by
Bronislaw Orlowski. Due to unsatisfactory characterics aircraft was
completly re-designed by team led by Bronislaw Zurakowski and Andrzej
Frydrychewicz. Wilga 2 and later versions became one of most successful
aircraft for aero club use.