Aircraft in Corporation or LLC?

Old December 11th 04, 06:42 PM
Newps

C Kingsbury wrote:

I wouldn't shoot quite so fast. Depending on your employment status and
income level there are more government programs out there than even good
CPAs are often aware of. Back in 2000 the gub'mint helped me pay for night
school classes in programming at my local community college, thanks to the
"Hope Credit" or something like that. Added two simple pages (none of which
asked at all about job-relatedness) to my tax return and got me about $1000,
IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised if there are similar ways to write off flight
training, under at least some circumstances.

Absolutely, as a controller I have written off my flight training as
continuing training for ATC.
Old December 11th 04, 07:11 PM
Matt Whiting

Newps wrote:

C Kingsbury wrote:

I wouldn't shoot quite so fast. Depending on your employment status and
income level there are more government programs out there than even good
CPAs are often aware of. Back in 2000 the gub'mint helped me pay for
night
school classes in programming at my local community college, thanks to
the
"Hope Credit" or something like that. Added two simple pages (none of
which
asked at all about job-relatedness) to my tax return and got me about
$1000,
IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised if there are similar ways to write off
flight
training, under at least some circumstances.

Absolutely, as a controller I have written off my flight training as
continuing training for ATC.

I thought the education or training had to be "required" in order to
keep your job or advance in your field. Is flight training really
required by the FAA for controllers?

Matt

Old December 12th 04, 02:32 AM
Newps

Matt Whiting wrote:

Absolutely, as a controller I have written off my flight training as
continuing training for ATC.

I thought the education or training had to be "required" in order to
keep your job or advance in your field.

If the training is required to keep your job it is not deductible, that
statement itself is in the IRS regs. If the training is to improve
yourself and your ability to do your job then it is deductible.

Is flight training really
required by the FAA for controllers?

Not required at all.
Old December 12th 04, 03:27 AM
Matt Whiting

Matt Whiting wrote:

Newps wrote:

C Kingsbury wrote:

[...]

From reading this (page 61), I'd hate to have an IRS audit and try to
explain how flight training is directly related to increasing your
skills as a controller, since I don't believe flight training is any
part of the ATC curriculum.

Matt

Old December 12th 04, 03:53 PM
Newps

Matt Whiting wrote:

From reading this (page 61), I'd hate to have an IRS audit and try to
explain how flight training is directly related to increasing your
skills as a controller, since I don't believe flight training is any
part of the ATC curriculum.

Flight training is a slam dunk simple example at increasing my skills as
a controller. We had an entire training program that let controllers
ride in the jumpseats of airliners, air taxis, etc.