XM reception in severe weather?

Old March 31st 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default XM reception in severe weather?

A friend with XM radio in his car tells me that sufficiently poor weather
ruins his reception. Would the same occur with XM weather (ie. to a
handheld or a GDL-69)? I cannot imagine that that would be the case w/o
lots of complaints, but I thought I'd check here.

Anyone?

Thanks...

Andrew

Old March 31st 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Andrew Gideon wrote:
A friend with XM radio in his car tells me that sufficiently poor weather
ruins his reception. Would the same occur with XM weather (ie. to a
handheld or a GDL-69)? I cannot imagine that that would be the case w/o
lots of complaints, but I thought I'd check here.

Anyone?

Thanks...

Andrew

I think it'd have to be sufficiently BAD weather. I 've got XM from the
factory in my GM car and can't recall if I've ever lost the signal from
weather. I do lose the signal in the same spot on my daily commute
though. Interestingly only in the southbound lanes and not in the north
on the way home. Time of day makes no difference. Could be the
antenna? We added XM to my wife's car and the antenna is like the size
of a chiclet while the OEM on GM car is the size of a hockey puck!

Chris
Old April 1st 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message

A friend with XM radio in his car tells me that sufficiently poor weather
ruins his reception. Would the same occur with XM weather (ie. to a
handheld or a GDL-69)? I cannot imagine that that would be the case w/o
lots of complaints, but I thought I'd check here.

A couple weeks ago I flew in heavy rain off and on for an hour with no XM Wx
reception problems on a Garmin 396.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 1st 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I have a GDL 69 and so far have not had any problems in solid IMC, snow, or
even icing conditions. The display of Nexrad weather is invaluable, while
the requests for textual metars is a little cumbersome. I also got the
option of satellite radio, and it is nice on the long cross countries.

Garmin dropped the ball regarding the satellite radio, since there is no way
to adjust the channel or volume without the addition of an ugly external
box, which does not display the channel. However, the weather stuff works as
advertised.

Old April 1st 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Not sure what frequency these XM units are on (to lazy to look up) but
Satellite TV goes out in a heavy thunderstorm (rain).

Big John