XM Weather in Canada

Old September 28th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

Default XM Weather in Canada

How would I know? Do your own research!

KG
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

So a Canadian can now use a Canadian address to subscribe to XM Weather?

Old September 28th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Visitor[_2_]

My understanding was you put it on your cc and use a US address. I think
it is some licensing thing they can't yet sell the product in Canada.

John

randall g wrote:

I just bought the Garmin 496 and I want to sign up for the aviation
weather service. Unfortunately I live in Canada. When I called to
subscribe they said they couldn't sign me up and I should contact XM
Canada. So I called them, and they do not offer this service at all,
although they rep thought they would someday.

I guess what I need to do is to provide a US address in order to
subscribe to XM USA. I suppose I could make one up, or hire a PO Box
somewhere in the US.

If you subscribe to XM Weather, do they actually send stuff to your
address? Is it important?

If you are a Canadian subscriber to XM Weather, how did you do it? Does
your Canadian credit card work, or do you need to use a card drawn on a
US bank?

randall g =%^) PPASEL+Night 1974 Cardinal RG
http://www.telemark.net/randallg
Lots of aerial photographs of British Columbia at:
http://www.telemark.net/randallg/photos.htm
Vancouver's famous Kat Kam: http://www.katkam.ca

Old September 28th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

karl gruber wrote:
How would I know? Do your own research!

KG
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

So a Canadian can now use a Canadian address to subscribe to XM
Weather?

I did and you seemed to question the position I had taken so that sort of
leaves the ball in your court.

Old September 28th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

So a Canadian can now use a Canadian address to subscribe to XM
Weather?

I did and you seemed to question the position I had taken so that sort of
leaves the ball in your court.

Clearly you didn't research anything since your position is:
"Don't count on XM doing anything new until after the merger takes place."

Meanwhile they are implementing new weather features on a continuing basis.

I see it's difficult for you to argue against fact, but trying makes you
look foolish.

KG

Old September 28th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Sep 27, 11:06 pm, wrote:
On Aug 28, 11:30 am, "karl gruber" wrote:

XMweather already shows most of Canada's weather as it is broadcast now. It
has ALL the METARs and most of the country shows up on the NEXRAD radar.

Karl

"randall g" wrote in message

.. .

[...]

Vancouver's famous Kat Kam:http://www.katkam.ca-Hide quoted text -

The Canadian subsidiary of XM is selling the music/audio element but
still just making promises about XM weather "RSN" (real soon now.)
The US website for XM weather now offers a range of packages for
boating; the top one specifically includes "high resolution Canadian
NEXRAD" -- so XM has access ot the Canadian radar data; they just
haven't gotten organized to sell subscriptions to that data to
Canadians.

The US XM site has online subscription forms; these only accept US
billing addresses and will not take a credit card number issued by a
Canadian bank.- Hide quoted text -

How does the vendor know which bank a credit card is drawn from, and
why does he even care?

However, vendors use zip codes to match the credit card to the mailing
address, so using a friend's address in the U.S. is not going to work
unless that friend is also willing to lend you his credit card.

Old September 28th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Andrew Sarangan wrote in
ups.com:

On Sep 27, 11:06 pm, wrote:
On Aug 28, 11:30 am, "karl gruber" wrote:

XMweather already shows most of Canada's weather as it is broadcast
now. It has ALL the METARs and most of the country shows up on the
NEXRAD radar.

Karl

.. .

-

The Canadian subsidiary of XM is selling the music/audio element but
still just making promises about XM weather "RSN" (real soon now.)
The US website for XM weather now offers a range of packages for
boating; the top one specifically includes "high resolution Canadian
NEXRAD" -- so XM has access ot the Canadian radar data; they just
haven't gotten organized to sell subscriptions to that data to
Canadians.

The US XM site has online subscription forms; these only accept US
billing addresses and will not take a credit card number issued by a
Canadian bank.- Hide quoted text -

How does the vendor know which bank a credit card is drawn from, and
why does he even care?

In my case it's by the first four numbers on my card.. I've only had a
problem with one vendor ever over it.

Bertie

Old September 29th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
randall g

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:14:15 -0700, Andrew Sarangan
wrote:

How does the vendor know which bank a credit card is drawn from, and
why does he even care?

However, vendors use zip codes to match the credit card to the mailing
address, so using a friend's address in the U.S. is not going to work
unless that friend is also willing to lend you his credit card.

I note that my old thread has come to life again. Here is what I have
discovered, as I posted to aviation.ca:

XM Weather in Canada - How To Get It Easily

Just in case you didn't want to read the whole thread about my
trial-and-error experience, here is how any pilot in Canada can easily
subscribe to XM Satellite Aviation Weather.

1. Purchase your XM receiver - I bought a Garmin 496 from vippilot.com
online. You can buy it in Canada. The radio or antenna will have an XM
radio ID printed on it which you will need when you subscribe. It is
probable that the store you buy it from will not know how you can
subscribe to weather in Canada. Just smile smugly to yourself.

2. DO NOT CALL XM CANADA. They do not offer weather, although they claim
they will some day. These instructions are for if you want it now.

3. Call XM USA and subscribe to their aviation weather. They have two
plans - if you want Canadian weather information you need the more
expensive one, for US$50 per month. They will want a US address - give
them any address in the US or just make one up - you will never need to
receive anything there. If you are desperate try something like "One
Speigel Drive, Chicago, 60609".

4. When they ask for your credit card, say you don't want to use a
credit card, and ask for billing by invoice. If you give them a Canadian
credit card at this point, they will immediately detect that it is not
from a US bank and will be unable to use it, probably due to arcane FCC
and CRTC rules about exactly who is allowed to pay attention to
particular photons of radiation bathing on them from the sky. Instead
they will set you up to receive a monthly invoice by mail, which you can
pay the old fashioned way. DO NOT WORRY, you don't need to receive this
invoice.

5. Confirm that your radio is activated. I had to bring mine out on the
porch, and after being on for 20 minutes or so, it picked up my
subscription and started loading the weather data. Woohoo!

6. OK now you are thinking, I don't want to futz around with paying
monthly bills by cheque, this isn't the 20th century! Well here comes
the tricky bit. Go to www.xmradio.com and create an online login for
your subscription. You enter your radio id and email, and now you can
view your account and billing information. Among other things you can
view all your invoices, so if you did want to pay by cheque, you could
just do it at this point without receiving anything by mail (see?)

The online site also offers an option to pay your invoice online. Click
this and you go to some US bank site, where you can enter a credit card
number. AT THIS POINT THEY DO NOT CARE WHERE THE MONEY IS COMING FROM!
Ain't capitalism grand? Or rather, ain't Accounts Receivable grand? I
used my plain vanilla Canadian Royal Bank Visa, which of course didn't
even match the bogus address I had provided. It still worked! They don't
care, they just want the money!

Not willing to believe this at first, I waited a couple of days to make
sure the charge went through, which was eventually confirmed.
Interestingly, this process has apparently set my account to bill my
credit card directly, rather than by invoice. I'll confirm this in the
coming months but for now, everything is copascetic.

Old September 29th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Visitor[_2_]

I didn't know you were in Canada. From your email addy, I thought the US?
Where at?
I am in Southern Ontario.

John

Old October 1st 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

The Visitor wrote:
I didn't know you were in Canada. From your email addy, I thought the
US? Where at?
I am in Southern Ontario.

John

I'm not but I can see how you thought that from the mangled threading. Mr.
Karl "Helpful" Gruber was top posting and so I top posted my replies for a
while then I slipped and did it correctly.

XM Weather throughout Canada Dico Owning 8 December 27th 06 05:33 PM
GPS Use In Canada rps Instrument Flight Rules 1 March 29th 06 08:17 PM
Warm Weather Pilots, Cold Weather Ops john smith Piloting 3 December 2nd 04 04:00 PM
RON in Canada Dale General Aviation 2 February 20th 04 04:21 AM
And they say the automated Weather Station problems "ASOS" are insignificant because only light aircraft need Weather Observations and forecasts... Roy Piloting 4 July 12th 03 04:03 PM