A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Flight line operations cart, trailer or what have you.

Old October 18th 19, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Flight line operations cart, trailer or what have you.

Our gliding club operates from 6 different launch points on 3 different runways and utilizes a small cart to carry everything we need for our operation. It is a plywood box structure mounted on a small metal frame with a trailer hitch to be towed by our retrieve quad.

While it is OK and has served us for many years, we would like to make some changes and would like to hear from others what they might use, pictures would be most welcome.
Cheers
Mike
Old October 18th 19, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

Used school buses can be had cheap. Rearrange seats for briefings and field manager / timekeeper. Hang a whiteboard and bins for forms and pens outside that can be taken back in at the end of day.

Add cabinets, countertops, tables etc to suit your fantasies.

Make very clear bus prohibited on public roads.
Old October 18th 19, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 9:00:13 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Our gliding club operates from 6 different launch points on 3 different runways and utilizes a small cart to carry everything we need for our operation. It is a plywood box structure mounted on a small metal frame with a trailer hitch to be towed by our retrieve quad.

While it is OK and has served us for many years, we would like to make some changes and would like to hear from others what they might use, pictures would be most welcome.
Cheers
Mike

Glider club buses, especially double-deckers are great. Many have cafes with soup, sandwiches, snacks, and hot tea and cold drinks. https://tinyurl.com/y2txmh4r

Some holiday caravans have also been used. We could get a cozy 16 or so in the old two door at Enstone and make hot tea. It also served to hold the club chutes, a radio, and some comfort for the duty pilot. It had big windows which was a plus.
Old October 19th 19, 07:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]
external usenet poster

I dont think a bus was what Mike had in mind. But I drove an old bread truck, like the current delivery service Van's. Steps to enter, big windows, converted with bench seats/storage under, small table for logbooks.
If you want to stick with towbehind -- how about a pickup bed trailer? The little half tons are lite to hitch, carry a full ton.
(It is a lesson in CG packing.) Could have fold out awning for wet/sun protection for ground crew. Could tow with a soul or three on board for a scamper team to clear a runway.
ATVs might look cool, but golf carts beat them for utility in staff transport.
Let me know if you need a photo for clarification.

Cindy B
Old October 19th 19, 10:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 11:00:13 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Cheers
Mike

Golf carts are good for running around the field, but the battery and controller take a toll because of overheating because of pulling a glider. Gas carts are a different animal and can stand the the wear and tear with little loss of power from pulling. I have a Kawasaki Mule that I sometimes take to the gliderport, it works well and you can load the bed with all kind of items.
Old October 19th 19, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

While I don't have any specific suggestions (my club uses two picnic tables at either end of the runway, a wooden box with hanging folders, a glorified double clip board and 3 golf carts [two electric, one gas]) my thoughts are;

- The club in question is looking for something bigger than what they have but smaller than a 747.
- A bus seems interesting with lots of windows and can be road worthy to take site to site.
- A double-decker bus is really too big and hard to find in the US of A
- A bread (box) truck might be an option but would I have never seen one with windows (in the box).

Mike - I would ask that you could provide a list of your requirements as to what the current set up is missing. Size? Road worthy? People mover? Tow capability?

Thanks, John