New 7 part personal soaring movie in Utah

Old April 1st 05, 05:25 PM
Nyal Williams

I am quite surprised at the number of comments this
sort of 'off topic' subject has generated.

So,

I challenge all who are the least bit interested in
the subject to buy, borrow, or however else, get a
recording of the Claude Debussy string quartet (he
wrote just one) and listen to all four movements.
(You don't have to hear all 4 in one sitting.)

If you believe that not one of the movements captures
the mood of soaring tell me so, either in this forum
or at my personal email address.

At 15:30 01 April 2005, Bruce wrote:
Malcolm Austin wrote:
Hi Bruce,
we are lucky here in the UK with one
radio station (Classic
FM) who during the 1200 to 1400 stint have listeners
requests. They not
only give the names (people ask for the Mission theme,
not knowing the real
name) but later on you can pick it up on their web
page.

My knowledge of classic music has come on greatly
since they arrived on the
scene. The are also happy to play less 'high brow'
music so even more of the
film stuff makes it through. (can' beat Michael Kamen's
theme to the Band
of Brothers for a sad bit)

They have a web presence and often get lunch time
requests from our old
'colony' !!!

Cheers, Malcolm...

'Bruce' wrote in message

Nyal Williams wrote:

At 19:30 30 March 2005, Bruce wrote:

Nyal Williams wrote:

SNIP

But the main thing about these videos with music underlay
is that the music doesn't fit - regardless of style.
It ought to be like a ballet or movie music. Just
laying down a piece of music under a video is a little
bit like putting pickles in icecream just because you
like both, or like putting a 42 long jacket on a short
38size man. Doesn't fit and doesn't support the video.
It is multi-tasking at best; at worst, one gets in
the way of the other.

Indeed - The music has to sort of fit the action. Personally
I prefer to
listen to my music when not flying gliders, and visa
vrsa.

Mr Morricone composed the music for numerous films
(mainly westerns like
'The Good the bad ad the ugly')but also the score for
'The Mission'
featuring a rather beautiful piece called 'Gabreil's
Oboe'

Would go well with some parts of soaring. But better
on the big screen...

You probably would recognise it - if not the composer.

Hi Malcolm

Classic FM gets requests from the 'old colony' because
they are based in
Johannesburg - Braamfontein on the corner of Jan Smuts
and Jorissen streets.

Great improvement in the selection of stations to listen
to since they came
along. One of our members used to do an investment
talk show which has now moved
to other stations because of ownership changes at Classic
FM. On one notable
occasion we had to remind him that he was supposed
to be on air 100km away and
5,000' lower in half an hour.... The interview was
conduced over a mobile phone
in the end.

Cheers
Bruce

Old April 4th 05, 04:01 PM
Bruno

Hi Mike,
Actually this was a pretty blah day for soaring in Utah. The winds
aloft were 20+ knots from the west and blew all but the strongest
thermals apart. It did make for good ridge soaring as you can see in
part 3 of the movie. You can hear on the video other pilots talking
about trying to get away from the airport and they kept getting shot
down. I was lucky because I took the risk of there being ridge lift
over Mount Timpanogus and went for it. Had the ridge lift not been
working, I would have had to land at another airport. This was really
just a local flight from Cedar Valley airport (home). I never got
further than 40 miles away from home. Even a fairly bad soaring day in
Utah is still pretty spectacular! Please consider coming out here in
the Summer to try some soaring yourself. You will not be disappointed.

Bruno