City controlled airspace?

Old April 18th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

Default City controlled airspace?

"ZikZak" wrote in message
oups.com...

You have a student pilot certificate, don't you? There's no such thing
as a "licensed pilot," but a solo student pilot is properly
certificated to fly an airplane.

Is an airman certificate not formal permission from a governmental
authority to do something?

Old April 18th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Galban

On Apr 18, 8:34 am, Dallas wrote:
I stumbled upon the Aircraft and Airports section of the Dallas City Codes
and found a whole new layer of regulations I never knew about.

Not unusual. Some cities have even tried to enforce their own
aviation related ordinances. Several years ago, the city of Mesa, AZ
enacted an ordinace prohibiting flight over the city below 1,000 ft.
(except for takeoff and landing). They went so far as to have their
police helicopters chase down suspects and issue tickets on the ramp.
Many complained, but the FAA didn't show any interest in getting
involved. Eventually, local pressure ended the enforcement (i.e.
don't airborne cops have anything better to do than waste fuel chasing
errant Cessnas?), but the ordinance is still on the books.

Also, several years ago, the city of Las Cruces, NM enacted an
ordinance that required pilots to make radio calls in the pattern at
the (untowered) municipal airport. Again, the FAA showed no interest
in getting involved. The ordinance was the brainchild of the local
(former pilot) airport manager who thought the local pilots needed
some incentive to do things "the right way" (i.e. his way). This
one was eventually repealed when a high profile local citizen and
pilot appeared before the city council and convinced them that the
ordinance made them look like idiots to the aviation community.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 18th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-04-18 12:13:51 -0700, Dallas said:

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 08:49:32 -0700, C J Campbell wrote:

people who are trying to get some sleep don't appreciate it when you
are going WOWwowWOWwowWOWwow with the King Air at 2am.

Somehow it's not ok to run your engine up, but acceptable to taxi forward
another 50 feet onto the runway and firewall it?

:-)

Few people will notice a quick run-up on a piston single. The jets and
turboprops don't do a run-up for every flight anyway. If you think you
need to do it then, consider the airport closed during those hours.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old April 18th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-04-18 09:58:31 -0700, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net said:

ZikZak wrote:
You have a student pilot certificate, don't you? There's no such thing
as a "licensed pilot," but a solo student pilot is properly
certificated to fly an airplane.

I know it's cool and all to say we have a certificate and not a license but
even the FAA says "license" may places on their website. Here's an example.

Replace an Airman Certificate (License)

The people who insist on "certificate" are harking back to the days
before the FAA issued them. Originally, airman certificates were issued
by flying clubs. There was no FAA in those days.

Now that the government issues the certificate and reserves the right
to take it away, it represents a license. It is the same thing, no
matter how much the pack howls. Most of these guys could stand to look
in a dictionary and see what the difference between a license and a
certicate is. If you want to get picky about it, a certificate
represents a license to fly. That license can be revoked, whether you
retain physical possession of the certificate or not.

Old April 18th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-04-18 13:07:36 -0700, "Steven P. McNicoll"
said:

"ZikZak" wrote in message
oups.com...

You have a student pilot certificate, don't you? There's no such thing
as a "licensed pilot," but a solo student pilot is properly
certificated to fly an airplane.

Is an airman certificate not formal permission from a governmental
authority to do something?

Of course it is. Some of these guys try to define 'license' so narrowly
that it loses all meaning. They are wrong, the certificate represents a
license to fly, and all the howling in the world will not change the
fact.

Old April 18th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
andrew m. boardman

Dallas wrote:
Somehow it's not ok to run your engine up, but acceptable to taxi forward
another 50 feet onto the runway and firewall it?

The real issue here is extended ground runups for maintenance. Extended
full-power turbojet runups at 2am make the neighbors much, much sadder
than anything a piston engine is going to produce. (Barring, maybe, a
C185 with a long two-bladed prop on a full-power takeoff. Yeeeeouch!)
Old April 18th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Dallas" wrote in message

I stumbled upon the Aircraft and Airports section of the Dallas City Codes
and found a whole new layer of regulations I never knew about.

Here's a good one. As a student, I guess I need to call my instructor
every time I need to start the engine:

Unless you are like me.
I'm a "competent mechanic" - I've been fixing cars since I was 15...

SEC. 5-24. ONLY PILOT OR COMPETENT MECHANIC TO RUN ENGINE.
No person shall start or run aircraft engine other than a licensed pilot
or
a competent mechanic in the cockpit attending the controls. (Ord. Nos.
8213; 14384)

Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old April 18th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:

"Dallas" wrote in message

I stumbled upon the Aircraft and Airports section of the Dallas City Codes
and found a whole new layer of regulations I never knew about.

Here's a good one. As a student, I guess I need to call my instructor
every time I need to start the engine:

Unless you are like me.
I'm a "competent mechanic" - I've been fixing cars since I was 15...

When I first started all of this I was completely amazed at the
similarities between a C150 engine and my VW Bug's engine.

Outside of a funnily-placed carb and another couple cylindars, you
could probably bold a C150 engine into a bug and run it just fine.

Old April 18th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ZikZak

On Apr 18, 2:10 pm, C J Campbell
On 2007-04-18 13:07:36 -0700, "Steven P. McNicoll"
said:

"ZikZak" wrote in message
roups.com...

You have a student pilot certificate, don't you? There's no such thing
as a "licensed pilot," but a solo student pilot is properly
certificated to fly an airplane.

Is an airman certificate not formal permission from a governmental
authority to do something?

Of course it is. Some of these guys try to define 'license' so narrowly
that it loses all meaning. They are wrong, the certificate represents a
license to fly, and all the howling in the world will not change the
fact.

Um, dude. I call it a certificate because that's what it's called on
the ticket and in the regs. Are the regs wrong then?

Old April 18th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"ZikZak" wrote in message
oups.com...

Um, dude. I call it a certificate because that's what it's called on
the ticket and in the regs. Are the regs wrong then?

A certificate cannot be a license?